Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runningtrails_gw

My chickens dissappeared!

runningtrails
15 years ago

I took advanatage of a warm sunny springlike day to clean out the chicken house. I opened the doors and shooed them all out to free range. I let them free range from time to time. They like it a lot under the bus beside the chicken house and this is usually where they go.

I went about my business cleaning out the chicken house and piling it on the other side of my chicken manure pile - have to keep the old and new manure separated. Here's the pile:

{{gwi:37642}}

When it was all clean, I went to check on the chickens and could not find them. I looked all around the chicken house - no chickens. Not one. I widened my search and found this:

Dusting Chickens!

{{gwi:37643}}

{{gwi:37644}}

{{gwi:37645}}

Shortly afterwards something fell in the garage and they took off in one motion, flying up the inside of the garage accompanied by very loud complaining. They flew up on the shelves and hid behind tools. It took me quite awile to find them all. They hunkered down and were really still and quiet and didn't want to come out. I don't know what happened. Maybe the groundhog who lives under the garage and has a hole in there, came out. Anyway, it was impressive!

They were quite dirty.

Comments (13)

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

Happy hens! They sure love it when they find a place without snow (so do I)!

--Johanna

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing!My chickens frequently make my day.Posy_Pet

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Cute pics, glad you found them!.

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

I just love chickens...they are such fun...

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

LOL that is so hilarious I am LMAO!!

Thanks for sharing that!!!

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I had to come back and laugh some more!

Why do you seperate the old and new poop? What do you do with it all?? Hasn't it just been a month since you last cleaned the pens or was that Seramis? and where is he anyway???

• henhilton
    15 years ago

So glad you found them, runningtrails! The title of your thread scared me! Nothin' like a good dust bath after a long winter's snow, is there?

• gardengalrn
    15 years ago

I thought you were a little too calm when I read the first part of your story, LOL. You gave yourself away!!! I really enjoyed the dusting hen pics. What joy these birds can bring. Lori

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They found the only dry ground on the place. It's only dry because its in the garage/shop. I need to make up another bathe of dusting dirt for their house, I think.

They do bring us a lot of joy. We both like to go out there and spend time with them. It is such a stress relief!

When all was said and done, I only had 16 of the 20 hens back in the house. I had to hunt down the other hiding 4, but I did find them. They sure can be still, quiet and invisible when they want to be.

All that manure is going on the gardens. I have two very large veggie gardens and big flower gardens. It's too hot to put on the garden immediately, is it not? Does it not have to age first? I would love to put is all on at planting time but I don't want to burn the plants.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Sometimes you can practically HEAR the 'Ahhh!'
    {{gwi:37646}}

{{gwi:37647}}

It looks like sheer bliss! :)

Velvet ~:>

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

gotcha RT about the hot/aged poop.
    cute photo Velvet. I am going to have to take a photo of my gals bathing. they look like they are drunk or something.

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great pics, Velvet. Her eyes are even closed! Your's looks like the really dry light dusty stuff. I need to make mine more of that. They are very dirty after that roll in the sandy dirt.

Are those her babies? Too cute! I want peeps this year.

• spogarden
    15 years ago

Cute pictures! I am glad you didn't really loose them.
    I too have a large veggie garden. I have been trying something new with my chicken poo, partially to keep the dogs out of it. I am expanding my veggie garden and in the new area I dig a hole or trough about 1 foot deep and bury the poo in it. I am hoping that it will break down quicker that way. Has anyone else tried this.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor