Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
turkey housing

Posted by sleddogger nw on (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 17:40

So last year we raised four turkeys, and now everyone and they're friend wants us to raise one for them. I figure I can handle the work and the pay will help with books this fall, so why not? So we ordered fifty turkey chicks, with six going to friends, leaving forty-four for us to raise. Now I'm starting to realize that that's a lot of turkeys! My housing plan (so far) is to build a 16'x 8' shelter and divide it into four rooms (for lack of a better word), about four feet high. Each 'room' will open to a separate pen. I have decided on the size of the pens though. Having a hard time visualizing, but thinking 30'x 30' each with 8' fencing. I have some temporary fencing I could put out for them to get extra grazing during the day.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks,
Allison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: turkey housing

Hi there,,I raised 20 Turkeys a couple years ago. I had a mobile turkey hoophouse. It was shaped like a greenhouse with dark blue tarping fastented over the top and open to the ground. We were able to move it daily so they could graze on fresh grass and bugs every day,,and keep the smell down. I will tell you that 50 turkeys in one spot for 3 months will STINK TERRIBLY. I would say a turkey tractor or something you can move would be great,,if you can do it with that many birds. Many years ago I had to take care of my aunts turkeys and horses for about 4 months, because she was overseas teaching school. I gagged every time I went near that turkey pen, it was almost impossible for me to clean it..it was the worst,,Entirely unbearable. Goodluck to you with your turkeys. Your friends will be happy once Thanksgiving comes around.

o
RE: turkey housing

If they can forage outside it'll be healthier for them. Hope your friends can butcher their own turkeys, that is a lot of work too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here