Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendasue_gw

Greenhouse hoops price?

brendasue
15 years ago

I found a retired nursery owner selling the hoops from his greenhouses. They are 14' wide by 7.5 ' high, for $20.00 each. They are 3/4" dia galv. steel. He bought the tube bender & bent them himself, and made the hoophouse(s) himself, 5000 sq ft total.

He's selling just the hoops, we'd have to get the plastic, make the perlins(sp?) and the frame to put the hoops on. We can see one of them set up & maybe get some ideas. We're handy so not a big deal there, we've just never made a greenhouse before though. We can make the greenhouse as big as we want it, we're thinking 24ft long ought to last me a few years of fun. We're also thinking instead of going 4ft space we'll go 3ft spacing to help with the snow load, and use his recommended 6mil plastic that we'll be buying elsewhere.

I've been wanting a greenhouse for a while now, just hated spending the money from harborfreight or something, only to find out that I'll outgrow it or it is cheaply made. At least going this route, we can repair it if needed easily. I havn't been able to acquire another carport on freecycle, either. We're just looking to get a longer season for veggies, and get an early start. Probably use it for other uses during the summer, like shelter for the tractor or something.

Is this a good price for these hoops at $20.00 each? Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Brendasue

Comments (4)