Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvet_sparrow

Chickam Is Back!

velvet_sparrow
15 years ago

Our annual Chickam is up and running with our flock live with sound! Right now it's just showing the flock and nests (depending on where we set it) so we can test things, and will be running most days during daylight hours, PST. Click here and scroll to the bottom for more info:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickLinksCHICKAM.htm

There will be two sites hosting the cam in case one goes down. The actual hatching of the baby chick eggs will begin on March 22nd, with the hatch scheduled for March 23rd. After the hatch the cam will be placed in the brooder box for baby chick action! :)

It started raining just in time to muck everything up and right in the middle of my yard work, so pardon the mess! :)

Velvet ~:>

Comments (10)

• canuckistani
    15 years ago

Hi Velvet,

Do you use webcams to keep an eye on your animals or is this just for kicks?

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just for kicks, and to share with others how cool chickens are. :) Also, we make no money off of it...as a matter of fact it COST us money in order to buy the equipment, etc.

But the response we had to it last year was amazing--high drama during the hatch with hundreds of people worrying about and cheering on the chicks, and the experience was a lot of fun! :)

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

velvet just a little feedback. It would be helpful if you also posted the hours you will have the webcam running.

I enjoyed the hatching last year.

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's in the OP. :) I'm not running it today, I just got home from a surgical procedure so I'm crawling into bed. If my husband gets home before dark he'll start it, though.

Once it starts pointing at the incubator & brooder box, it'll be on 24/7, yay!

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Hope you are feeling better soon, Velvet! I'll have to check out the chicken cam, that is such a cool idea!

• brendasue
    15 years ago

It didn't work for me. Must be kinda neat to be able to check them out without going out in the cold! Chickam, that's be a cool name for a rooster. Hope you're feeling better soon too.
    Brendasue

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Hey Velvet,
    Hope you are feeling better. I will check the cam out in a few days.

• brendasue
    15 years ago

My post should have read:
    It didn't work for me. Must be kinda neat to be able to check them out without going out in the cold! Chickam sounds kinda neat, I think I'll name one of my roosters Chickam!
    Hope you're feeling better soon too.
    Brendasue

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! :) The cam will be up tomorrow, Saturday, weather permitting (we have to put the camera itself outside), it's been raining off and on.

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, the cam is up and running! It will continue until dark...around 6PM PST (Pacific Standard Time), it's 3:15PM now. We'll run it again tomorrow from around 7AM till dark. The view is from outside my sliding glass back door, looking across part of the patio to the back fence. The coop & run is off to the right side, behind the garage which is out of frame on the right. That's why you don't see the run right now. Some of the hens are still laying this time of day, so you may hear them cackling.

I'm going to go out and toss some goodies to the chickens right now. Any play-by-play you hear is provided by my 9 year old daughter. :)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm