Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brooding chicks in the chicken coop?

Posted by posy_pet z6Mo. (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 6, 09 at 19:56

Has anyone kept a broody hen in their chicken coop and let her hatch her chicks in with the other chickens?I have always separated mine but wonder if this is possible or will the big chickens kill the chicks?Posy Pet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brooding chicks in the chicken coop?

We leave them in. Momma keeps them in the nest for a day or two then they stick close/under her when they start moving around more. We offer pallets & things for chickens to get away from each other, often mamma keeps them in a secluded/hidden area. A lot depends on your set-up and birds per sq ft. You could also put busy foods in the coop, too, like squash or a sunflower seed head also to keep them distracted.

Yes they'll kill the chicks if the opportunity arises.
Brendasue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here