Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_wa

Monday Duck photos continued........

eric_wa
14 years ago

Posting Sunday night. I may not have time in the morning to take photos and post. These were taken Sunday afternoon.

{{gwi:37939}}

{{gwi:37940}}

{{gwi:37941}}

{{gwi:37942}}

That's right take a bath, then go to bed.

{{gwi:37943}}

Enjoy

Eric

Comments (14)

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

sweet! Its such a joy every morning my husband lets ours out and they make the mad dash to the pond for their AM bath!'Im sure you are enjoying it too!
    Thanks eric

• johanna_h
    14 years ago

They're true little quackers, aren't they? My lone duck, Ari Duckass, finally got out last week when the snow melted off a bit. You can see her muddy self on my blog.

Eric, do you raise ducks for eggs or meat or just because you enjoy them?

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Muddy Ari Duckass

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Johanna,

24 are egg laying breeds, 3 Cayugas just for fun and 3 Muscovies, for meat production. Ari Duckass, needs some webfoot friends. One is a lonley number.

More pix in a week. My Birthday

Eric

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

I see that they are starting to feather out! It sure doesn't take long. Thanks for the pic, Lori

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Everything is duck here.
    {{gwi:37944}}

Dirty face kid
    {{gwi:37945}}

Water is flowing after a couple days of rain
    {{gwi:37946}}

Eric

• jillzee
    14 years ago

I love the one in the lower right hand corner of the second picture! Cute shot!

It's amazing how quickly they grow!
    Jill

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks jillzee,

Have they lost their cuteness? I'll probably skip a few weeks and post some pictures later.

Eric

• jillzee
    14 years ago

I'm a sucker for ducks - I'll probably always think they're cute - so I'm probably not the best person to ask! I still like seeing the weekly updates, but if it's getting tiring to post pics every Monday, I'd understand too ;)

• seramas
    14 years ago

Eric,

Happy Birthday!

Are they straight run or sexed? The reason I ask, is it appears you have 6 white males. They are just starting to show their male feathering and holding their tails like males do.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

seramas,

The White Layer ducks, I paid Metzer Farms to sex them. They did throw in two extra duckling for shipping warmth. The Cayugas are straight run. Will see if I have to make a phone call to Metzer. :(

Thank You on the Birthday wish. 46 years young.

Eric

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

I like seeing them too! They are always cute.

Happy Belated B'day!

• whtros
    14 years ago

* holding their tails like males do *

Hi, Eric, I've been enjoying reading about your ducks on this thread and others. I've been looking over the pics and trying to figure out how the males are holding their tails different.

I got 6 Rouen ducklings on March 17 and having a great time with them. I kept them in a large storage box in the kitchen until a few days ago when I built a pen in the garage. Since its still pretty cold here in IL, I put the heat lamp back on them. Will that be enuf for those few days ahead when the temps dips to freezing?

I have been taking them outside every afternoon for a while to wander around and swim in our little pond. They have grown so fast and are getting too fast to catch when I want to bring them in. In one thread you mentioned whistling when you want to bring them in at nite. I've tried to get them to follow me by holding out lettuce leaves but its not working. Since I can't whistle, what else can I do to bring them in? Its pretty hard to herd them by myself.

Thanx for your help, Barbara
    {{gwi:37947}}

• kasiec
    14 years ago

Hi Eric - is that a man made pond or natural pond? If man made, what is the dimension? Thanks a bunch.

Kasie

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barbara,

Sorry about the slow response. I'm spending more time on another forum.

Heat lamp for your 6 ducklings should be just fine. I used one lamp for 17 ducklings and they were hardly ever under it.

If you feed them in their house only, they should follow you in. I hardly have to whistle anymore. When they hear the metal garbage can open, they are at my feet. Always start at day one. Whistle and feed. Rattle their feed bowl and feed them. Some kind of routine. It's fun being the Pied Piper.

Kasie,

Eric made Pond :~) It's about 20ft by 50ft and around 3ft deep. This September, when it's dry, I will making it deeper with a rented dingo loader. I dug it out last September and made 12 more raised beds in my garden.

{{gwi:37948}}

{{gwi:37949}}

{{gwi:37950}}

{{gwi:37951}}

{{gwi:37952}}

See you over at the Helpful Gardener - gardening forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful Gardener