Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aspire4grace

Newbie Here...Advice Appreciated

aspire4grace
16 years ago

Hi all! I'm new to the forum and I'm glad to have found it.

Brief background...when I was a kid, I was responsible for the feeding and care of the chickens and steer. I always wanted a farm...now I have one.

I have 16 acres, but the fence is practically non-existent, because it was built so cheaply. So that's an expense that we have to try to come up with to pay for, but until then...I now have 10 does and 1 buck (Nubians and Boers). I originally started out just wanting milk for my family, but it quickly grew to it's current point. The goal is to sell the milk, which I've been told I'll have NO problem doing.

I also have chickens of all ages, from 3 day old chicks, to full grown already laying. Oh, and we also aquired 7 female turkeys, with 1 dominant tom, and one extra male.

I have many concerns but I'll try to keep it simple.

I'd love to let the goats into the pasture, and I actually have been for the last few weeks, but now they've ventured into the neighbors property, and the street, through our "fence". So, I have to keep them in the paddock. It's small, maybe 25'x25'. I know this isn't ideal, but since they won't stay in the pasture, I'm kinda stuck at the moment. We're going to start working on extra paddocks soon, esp. since I've been told that if I run my buck with my does, my milk will have that "goat" taste, WHICH I CANNOT STAND IN THE LLLLEAASSSSTTTTT!!!! Sooooooo, any ideas on how to keep them happy since I have to keep them confined for a while?

Also, I asked my husband to build me a second chicken coop, so I could seperate according to ages, but then we ended up with the turkeys, so now they have it! But it's not NEAR enough room for them at 14'x8' even tho they're midgets.

I originally wanted to let all my hens run free, but I was told that if I wanted the eggs (which is the main reason I have them), I would HAVE to keep them cooped up. I tried to teach them to lay in the laying nest, but they refuse to do so, and the dogs go in to the coop and get the eggs anyhow, so I think that I'm stuck keeping them cooped, right?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I've been working at this for months, and I have many more questions, but they can wait.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (8)

• backlanelady
    16 years ago

As far as the hens you can let them out to free range in the early afternnon, after they have layed their eggs. The old saying goes, "before noon, too soon." and I have found this to be true. My chickens lay their eggs between noon and 2pm.
    Collect the eggs when you let the hens out before your dogs can get to them. Do you have a door on the coop?
    If your turkeys are cramped, they can free range too. As long as the dogs don't harass them.
    You will need to watch the turkey hens though. Mine was laying eggs in a brushy area and disappeared until her eggs hatched. Turkeys will sneak off to nest, if given the chance.
    Careful about selling the goat milk. The government has regulations and you don't want to get fined.
    It sounds like you have your hands full. Try not to get too far ahead of yourself with animals until you have a place for them. I know, it's hard to do...animals just seem to collect around here too. But it's easier when they have their own set ups.
    Good Luck!

• kydaylilylady
    16 years ago

Honey, your first mistake was taking on so many animals without having the necessary fencing to contain them. Now you have too many animals confined in too little space. For the time being, until you get a woven wire fence constructed, go get yourself an electric fence box, posts, wire, insulators and gate handles. Construct yourself a 3-4 strand electric fence around your property. For goats I'd go with a wire every about every 6-8 inches. KEEP IT HOT!!! If you're home every day then turn your goats out to graze while your there on the property. That way if they do get out you're there to corral them immediately. Then lock them up in the pen at night. You don't need someone running over a goat in the middle of the night and you don't want to be beating the bushes in the dark looking for escapees.

Keep in mind the old saying "Good fences make good neighbors." It is SO very true. I'd make getting that fence up the first priority.

Janet

• billie_ladybug
    16 years ago

My chickens free range all day. I probably miss a few eggs, but most of my hens go back into the coop to lay since it is their safe place. They are happy with the situation.

My turkeys I have locked up though. Reason, too may toms. I have all the toms out except for one, the breeder. Everyone else is on free range.

My chickens and ducks usually freerange all summer. I had the hens locked into the coop with an outside enclosure for about a month before they got to go out so they would know where home is. As the sun goes down, they go to bed. Every evening I do a head count before I close up. My daughter closed up yesterday, it seemed everyone was in, but one roo was still out and boy was he fighting the fence to go home. He must have been tired from chasing the toms all day.

Billie

• seamommy
    16 years ago

With that much acreage you could make an enclosure for your hens with T-stakes and chicken wire tied to it. Mine have an enclosure that's 50' x 110' and although they are enclosed, they are still free range enough that they are able to forage for grass and bugs.

I agree with Janet, you have to prepare a home for your animals before you take them on. After all, you wouldn't have moved there if there was no house would you? You might be able to get one of your neighbors to foster your goats till you can get the correct fence up for them.

Wish I could help you out, I've wanted to try goats for a while, but we are in the process of re-doing one of our fences as well and have no enclosure on the north side of our property. Cheryl

• posy_pet
    16 years ago

I agree about the "good fences...".My daughter let her chickens range.Something started getting them a few at a time til she is down to maybe 4-5 from about 40.You can give your goats leaves along with the hay etc. that you feed them.That is what my daughter does.Keeps them busy chewing(maple leaves).My hens are still laying at 4 in the afternoon.I would recommend a chicken tractor for part of your chickens.Posy Pet

• yakimadn
    16 years ago

I'd take advantage of the goats and chickens to clean the place up. Here in Germany and in the UK you can get electric poultry and sheep nets that come in 50 meter rolls complete w/ posts that you just hook up a charger to. Works real well and (here) very cost effective. Is something like that available in the States? Sheepherders here rotate their sheep between vacant fields and use these to contain them at night. If it was me, I'd use T posts and electric wire. As money/circumstances allow, leave the T posts in place and replace the electric wire with woven wire either all at once, or as I could afford it. No big stresser here. Animals can get real ugly when you're beating yourself to death to make their life picture book perfect. Whatever fence you use, it's a good idea to keep a couple of strands of electric for safety. My .02.

Good luch and have fun.

Dave

• velvet_sparrow
    16 years ago

Good advice here from everyone...

I've got a chicken info site that may help, here:

http://jackshenhouse.com/

As for the nesting issue with the chickens, to encourage them to lay eggs where YOU want them to, make the nest you build the best and most attractive play to lay. Chickens like to feel that they are 'hiding' their clutch of eggs from predators, so I've found that they prefer a dark nest. Mine are wooden boxes with one open side, and the open side has a curtain of black landscape fabric over it, with a slit cut up the center to create an opening. There is also a small wooden lip along the bottom front about two inches high to retain straw and eggs. Add a layer of straw a couple of inches thick in the bottom of the nest, and you've got Hen Heaven!

As for the dogs, I'd either hang the nest boxes up off the ground a few feet, and add chicken ladders for the hens to climb to get to them, or build a henhouse that is strictly two rows of nests, facing each other with a walkway in between, with a chicken-size opening at one end. Add a hinged roof over the nests themselves that can be secured down, for you to lift and remove eggs that way. If the dogs are larger than the hens, then they won't be able to get into the henhouse and on to the nests. This will also make the hens feel more secure about using those nests over somewhere else in the yard.

Even so, some girls are stubborn and will get it into their heads to go exploring for a new place to lay...my hens have found some of the weirdest places imaginable! They will also roam the yard, hollering about the upcoming egg, frantically searching for JUST the right spot for it...and then just go lay it in the nest, like always. I've also got some girls that will lay later in the day, just to be special princesses.

Little nutjobs.

Have fun with your animals, and keep them safe! :)

Velvet ~:>

• beeliz
    16 years ago

At this time,my 2 mini goats are confined to their house..and the hens are also inside till I build my "run" for them this spring. I lost too many last fall to a fox,therefore no more free ranging here. I have to install a new fence at the back of the goats area...the amount of snow and ice has been tremendous this year and has done a lot of damage. therefore I'll be fixing fences and building chicken runs soon. I have 4 foot high fences for the goats,I don't use electric fencing...should I?? They are magnifisant escapees!! But if I put in a good 5 feet of welded fence on the t posts,will this suffice?