Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help my ducklings are sick :(

Posted by cutelilkitkat Oklahoma (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 21:37

I was surprised with two little ducklings about two weeks ago(they were about one week old then), and so far everything has been great. We have a heat lamp, the mush feed for them, a plastic tub the whole bit. Everyday I get them out for a bit and let them play in water. They are very lively curious little things and I have really become attached.

Last night and today I could hear them sneezing and they have both been very clingy today. Through out the day when ever I would pet them, they would kind of nuzzle me with their bills and they felt hot. They have spent much of the day sleeping, unlike the last week or so in which they were up playing for the most part.

I have called every vet in our area, each one saying to call another because they have no expeirence with water fowl...I don't know what to do.

My sister bought an antibiotic called Duramycin-10 and said a local farm shop said to put a pinch into a gallon of water and give it to them....is it safe?? I don't want to lose my babies. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help my ducklings are sick :(

We keep biomyacin or liquimyacin LA200 on hand for a general antibiotic. Assuming Duramyacin is just a different brand I would proceed to give it if that is all you have on hand. I'm not familiar with Duramyacin, but know a lot of the ....mycacins are used across species.

Birds are routinely medicated via their water. I wouldn't use a "pinch", but dose for effect meaning there must be some guideline for you to follow either on the bottle or look online. For future reference here's a source for general antibiotics:

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/antibiotics-and-sulfas/camid/LIV/cc/3502/c2c/ln/

However I wouldn't wait to medicate them while you wait for an order, birds (IMO) are fragile animals and should be treated immediately.

Do you have a tractor supply Nearby? Also were these ducks vaccinated for any of the small bird diseases?

Sorry I can't help your specific question, not a bird person here.

Brendasue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here