Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wood ashes for poultry dust baths?

Posted by woodrose711 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 22:01

Ther are a bunch of "remedies" for helping poultry to keep themselves clean and free of parasites. I've heard that wood ashes are good, but wonder if it's too fine and may cause health/breathing issues. I know my hens love dirt baths when they're out. I have plenty of ashes. What are yor thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wood ashes for poultry dust baths?

I mix up a bucket of ashes some sand and use that.

o

I mix ashes, sand, screened potting soil and a little DE. They love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Country DIY Blog

o

O.K., thanks! Chicken baths on the way!

o

Had a male and female pheasent come thru my yard with her following dutifully behind. Then she came across some ashes I had thrown out and boy did she love that. He stood there for about 10 minutes waiting while she fluffed around. When she was good and ready away they went.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here