Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree farm/nursery startup

Posted by cc78 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 22:11

A few years back, I bought a 47 acre patch of land in that had the remains of a tree farm operation. There is a 1,000 tree, pot-in-pot operation on it along with over 300 Colorado Blue Spruce that are planted in another portion of the ground. I enjoy working with trees so I figured at some point I would start planting more trees in hope of having a tree farm someday.

My questions for you experienced folks are whether a person can make a go of a tree farm on 47 acres and what kinds of trees I should plant to start out and where the best place to acquire them would be.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree farm/nursery startup

Well, not experienced in that sort of thing, but I can tell you the local tree farm here supports itself selling Christmas trees. They have probably about 50 acres on an upward slope. Trees sell for $30-80 cut pick ur own, but they have to give up much of the holiday season for sales.

As far as buying trees, seedling can be had for very cheap though your extention office or the arbor day society, or like offices.

o

• Posted by memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 23:18

I would think that selling tree starts to full size wholesale nurseries would be the more profitable way to go and would require less start up $$ than growing trees to full size. It would take a lot of land to grow full sized trees, not to mention the equipment for digging and moving etc.

o

google wholesale trees ... I buy bare-root trees almost every spring from a local nursery who gets them shipped bare-root from Canada. This is a great niche for them.

They sell trees that are suited for our area, and as many unusual or not so common trees as they can find.

Figure out what you want your niche to be ...

o

Join your local/state nursery association. You may be able to network with others in your area that can put you on the right track. There are a lot of expensive mistakes that you could make. Don't jump into it without researching it thoroughly, and good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here