Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Muscovy Nesting Boxes

Posted by eric_wa San Juan, z8 WA (ejellison@rockisland.com) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 22:26

Hello,

Do you think the Muscovies will nest in these? They are on the South side of the duck house. It can get really hot there. The tree between is a Desert King Fig, so they will get a little shade. Are they to open?

What do you think.

Photobucket

Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Muscovy Nesting Boxes

If your pond and area around the pond is protected against predators they will nest in them safely.

When I had them years ago we provided 2' x 2' x 2' box (with hinged lid for easy checking and cleaning) 1/2 filled with grass clippings or what ever we had. It had a 1' round hole and was on a 3' tall post. A 2" x 4" x 5' was mounted on the bottom of the nest box sticking out about 3' in front of the hole. They could fly up to the perch and get into the nest box keeping them safe from skunks, 'possums and such. The Male usually roosted just outside of the opening like a guard a night.

o
RE: Muscovy Nesting Boxes

That sounds like a nice setup. I think I'll build one of those also. Gives them an option.

My orchard is enclosed with a 7ft deer fence and I have two Black Labs that patrol. Have not had much in the way of predators in years.

Thanks
Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here