Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eleanor the Goose

Posted by southern_magnolia (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 22:42

I have ordered geese, due to arrive May 4th. This is my first order of geese, although I do have a grown pair of Toulese that I bought 5 years ago.
I am concerned about Eleanor,who is a wonderful, sweet girl. However, she has developed a problem that is worrying me, and I would appreciate advice from someone more experienced than myself.
Eleanor constantly lowers her head and then shakes it from side to side. I talked with our vet and he gave me worm medicine for her. SHe is a lot better, but the problem is still there. The vet said maybe she needs an antibiotic as there may be an infection. He did not sound very sure of his diagnosis, so I can forsee multiple visits to the vet.
I will load up this huge goose and take her to the vet Thursday, which should be a hoot.
Has anyone had any experience with this? I want to get this cleared up before my goslings arrive in four weeks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eleanor the Goose

I wouldn't imagine that anyone here would be likely to be in a better place to give you a diagnosis than your Vet. If the meds made the problem less severe then your vet probably had it right, he is probably just unsure because he expected the problem to be completely gone. Maybe he is thinking it might be a secondary infection issue.

If the problem isn't cleared up it might be a good idea to keep the new geese out of any area where she might leave some droppings to keep the uninfected.

Goodluck, Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here