Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doninalaska

It just occurred to me...

doninalaska
14 years ago

I noticed that theere was a long response to dannic and the chicken tractor. I wonder if anyone has ever built a "hog tractor"? It seems like a great idea. If you had a real tractor to move it, you could build a big, strong version of a chicken tractor to move hogs or pigs around. They, too, can till up a lot of ground--especially "unimproved" areas of your farm or homestead. We have had a pen with moveable panels, but I wonder if you could develop a pen that could be moved as a "tractor"? If there are any architects or engineers out there...

Comments (7)

• brendasue
    14 years ago

I imagine it would have to have wire or the like at least 2' around the interior along the ground. If not wouldn't the pigs root themselves right out of the pen? Might be good for young ones (spacewise), or it would be too big to move efficiently?

My pig experience is very limited, so I may be completely wrong here.

Brendasue

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

It is more often done like intensive grazing. The hogs are moved among tightly-fenced areas to feed. The fences don't move.

A large-enough pen for the hogs would be very difficult to move because of the flexing at the joints, and the weight of anything hog-proof. A bolt-together panel setup would be easier to manage - L-shaped panels with the short part on the ground to discourage escape. Hogs don't burrow very well, so if you can keep them from seeing freedom they lose interest.

• seramas
    14 years ago

I remember years ago a neighbor had this very idea. He spent many hours building a hog proof heavy pen. It took them about 10 minutes to get out. They put their snouts under the barrier giving a quick lift while charging forward; before you could blink they were under and out.

They have some for cattle that the cattle move around themselves. Most breeders use them to pasture the bulls with the cows to keep the bulls from mounting the cows and fighting other bulls. I believe they are mostly round in shape and under the posts there are skid plates to allow them to move easily over rough ground.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    13 years ago

I think it could be done if you got your self some especially lazy pigs. I used to follow a blog by the name of Wholly pigs and the blogger Raises Mangalitsas, a very fat breed. One day he out up a picture of another outfits growing situation to stress that they are not an escape prone breed. The hogs were held in with a fence that was literally under 18" tall. A little picket number that I'm sure they could have bowled right under or over or through if they wanted.

I think a better option might be a trailer with a battery and portable electric fence. Move it, set it up, open the door, come back later round them up, take the fence in, lather rinse repeat.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    13 years ago

Should have corrected to wooly pigs, not wholly pigs.

Can't find the post, but take a look and see what is being used to hold them in http://woolypigs.blogspot.com/search?q=fence not much.

• pubwvj
    13 years ago

Yes, it will work. For a while. Pigs get big. Hog panels would be the choice. But as a I said, for a while. A better option is to use electrified poultry netting and clip the bottom couple of hot wires. We've done this with good success. Even better is to setup proper fencing around the perimeter and some step in posts with a couple of hot wires for paddock divisions and then do rotational grazing for real. This is how we do it. We raise about 200 pigs on pasture plus breeding herds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Mountain Farm

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

It would be easier to use a couple of strands of electric fence (that plastic wire) and those step-in plastic electric fence posts.

I've never had a pig try to go through electric wire.

A small solar powered fence charger could be set up any where you wanted it. After the pigs have had their first shock, you don't even need the fence charger, just the easily identifiable wire.

I've even had new pigs refuse to touch the wire because the existing pigs were afraid of it.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor