Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost one chicken to a predator

Posted by runningtrails 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 5:34

Yesterday was such a nice day that we let them out to free range. At bed time we were one short. We got out the flashlights and looked everywhere. Found her, dead, in the field. It looks like her back was eaten. We're thinking probably a hawk? We do have lots of them here.

That's the last free ranging they'll do. They have a huge home and very large pen. We're putting the roof back on the pen this week. It collapsed in the snow.

We're very sad at the loss of one of our girls. It's too bad we had to learn the free ranging lesson the hard way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost one chicken to a predator

Sorry to hear that you lost one of your girls. We have three in our suburban backyard. I let them free range a few hours a day, but I get nervous about it because there are several stray cats in the neighborhood. Glad to hear that yours have a large pen.

o

We have lots of predator problems here. We used to raise Khaki Campbell ducks. Bald eagles got 'em all and we can't even harass them while they are eating our stock since they are protected. Foxes, hawks, wolves, bears...we've got them all. Last year we had a number of people who lost their dogs to wolves ...while they were walking them or had them in their own yard. The folks in Connecticut protest violently every time we kill a wolf. I think we should trap the wolves and release them in Connecticut to control their deer problem

o

I was sorry to hear of your poor chicken. I, too, love the idea of free ranging but it is just not possible in my setting. All neighbors have dogs and the coyotes are thick. Not to mention my own dogs :( My grandparents always had all sorts of poultry free ranging and I guess I didn't pay much attention to what was going on. They lived in the middle of a forest out in the boonies. I would imagine there were all sorts of predators. I guess chickens had babies, chickens died. Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here