Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhsuzanne_gw

Broody Hen or something else?

nhsuzanne
16 years ago

I have a questions about the behavior of a broody hen.

Two days ago one of my Partridge Rock hens starting sitting in the nesting box on a clutch of eggs. I don't want chicks so I removed the eggs but put a wooden egg to appease her. She is quite aggressive and shrieks when I go near her. I have read about broodiness and she seems to fit the description. She stays there day and night. Yesterday afternoon, I pulled her off just to check her out because there was no new egg - just the wooden one. She got up and started eating immediately which I think is good. After a while I let the girls out to free range for a couple of hours and she went with them. I watched her, she looks fine and her behavior is normal looking.

Last night and this morning she was back in the nesting box. I pulled her out and she just laid in the same position on the coop floor for a few seconds and I had to encourage her to get up sort of. She did and started eating and acting normal.

This is my first flock of hens and I have tried to educate myself as much as possible but I don't know if this is the normal behavior of a broody hen or not. I want to be sure. The #1 thing that has me concerned is that she was in the box all day yesterday and didn't lay an egg. Do hens not lay after they go broody?? I felt her abdomen and it seems fine.

Hopefully, I am worrying for nothing but if I don't ask these questions I won't know the answer and I don't want to learn the hard way if at all possible.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (6)