Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red stringy poo

Posted by dan_grow (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 7:54

My chicks have red stringy dropping i sure it not Coccidiosis.
there 4 weeks old they all growing regular all very active i just don't know what it could be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red stringy poo

nvm every one it was a cousin of Coccidiosis. but such a weak strain that the chicks will be ok. except for one will never be the sane we found out she is really a he

o

i hate it when that happens. We had geese Benny and June turned out to be Betty and June. hahahaha

o

Glad they're gonna be O.K.!!! It's so dissapointing to lose babies!

o

Glad they'll be OK. Just a heads-up for everyone: A chicken expert friend of mine tells me that Sulfadimethoxine (Albon) or Amprolium (Amprol or Corrid) still work for coccidiosis, but Sulfamethazine (Sulmet) is no longer effective.

Can't help ya with the roo, though. :)

Velvet ~:>

o

I noticed red stringy poo with my chicks too right after bringing them home from the feed store. I was concerned about it until I began to suspect it had something to do with the red granite grit that I was giving them with their feed. I withheld the grit for a couple days and the red stringy stuff disappeared. I guess it could have been coccidiosis, or the mild strain that Dans chicks had, and I just didn't know it. Or maybe not. Anyway, even when I began the grit again, I didn't see the red stuff anymore.

The chick starter that they sell there at Russell Feed is always medicated and I'm sure that the whole point of that is to eliminate all the diseases that chickens seem to be born with. I don't mean to be peddling ignorance here, I don't know that much about diseases in chicks. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

One thing I would like to know is how old should I let my chicks get before I treat them for mites. I use Sevin dust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here