Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dar919

Info on when to Dress out your chickens

Dar919
9 years ago

For a fryer. A normal chicken should be dressed out between the ages of 6 to 13 wks.(13wks at most) for the best meat. I prefer to dress ours at 8 to 12 weeks.If you let the chicken get older it will then be to tough for fryer. You may dress it out for a Boiling hen then. (boiling hen-Yes can be a rooster lol) Older hen's & roosters can be good for boiling, stewing, baking. A young fryer age chicken can be good for baking,stew, & boil as well. But older chickens much over 14 wks will be to tough if try frying. When I say normal chicken I am referring to one that is not some special breed that may develops different then what we know as the normal everyday chicken. (such as a giant sized specialized bred chicken possibly- Some of them can still be dressed out at same age grouping of course but they may just be plenty big at the 6 -8 wks due to fast growth) And one may not care but here is some info if ya would like. Some may find it interesting. Many do not know that the correct terms is to say dress a chicken. (Not Butcher) you butcher a Hog or a cow etc. You dress or dress out a chicken, rabbit, squirrel, quail, etc. you dress a deer even. You may have heard Deer hunters & Conservation Officers say they Field Dress the deer. Not butcher. we clean fish. Yes when we prepare them & scale or skin them (I scale Bluegill, Sunfish, Bass. I skin Catfish) So yeah, we do not butcher fish either. The correct term is Clean the fish. Hope someone finds this helpful or at the least interesting reading.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner