Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Locked Kneees Duckling

Posted by billie_ladybug 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 10:35

Does anyone have any experiance with new hatches having locked knees. He cannot move the knee joint, but is fine otherwise. It seems like the joint is locked or maybe grew together. The knees cannot be moved with assistance either. His mom is Rouen but dad would be unknown. I wonder if it is something that might be a genetic disorder. None of the other ducklings had any issues. Neither does mom. It's sad to watch him as he cannot go with the others, but they do not pick on him. We are going to try to let him be, but we are hoping I can come up with a solution to his problem.

Thanks
Billie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Locked Kneees Duckling

Was wondering how your little duckling is doing? I don't know what could have caused this and couldnt' find anything online searches. I know that some things are caused by nutritional deficiencies, or maybe a genetic mutation? Hope the little guy (or gal) is okay!

o

Other than having a hard time getting back up when knocked down, he/she is doing ok so far. My worry is when he/she gets too big and goes outside. He/she is not able to keep up with the others and will be more suscepitable to predators. Fortunatly no one else has had a problem so no clues there.
Billie

o

Does the duckling look 'odd' in any other way? Hmm, very strange. Hopefully the duckling will learn to adapt to her legs and may surprise you! Once he/she can flap his/her wings, they might be useful to him/her.

What will you name him/her?

o

Well, to update you, she is doing fine. My daughter named her Wobbles. I think its a girl. Other than the legs, she is very healthy. Same size as everyone she hatched with and working on getting feathers. I still have her with the little guys as the ones her age topple her over in their careless running. She seems to like to be with the little ones and all the new chicks go into her pen. I think I have a serogate mother on my hands :) I will probably have to build her her own pen though. Well her and a few other "rescue" ducks we have. We have a Pekin hen, Daisy, that was partialy capped by a goose and has a gimp leg that would keep Wobbles company. Those were injuries she came to us with, just to clarify.

Billie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here