Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wandaredhead

New Calf - Help Please

wandaredhead
15 years ago

We have a new calf approximately 12 hours old.

She was born to a heffer via a very difficult birth.

She had to be pulled with ligatures on both front legs that were adjusted several times.

It took three men and a wench for delivery.

She was breathing at birth.

She never stood last night.

This morning, this is what we find.

{{gwi:38364}}

There is no deformity of her legs or joints.

When we stand her on her feet, she is wobbly and goes down.

She is walking on her knees.

Not sure if she has nursed or not...haven't actually seen her.

We have had several hundred births with quite a few having to be pulled but never seen anything like this.

Suggestions?

Help for her?

Birth injury?

Splints?

Possible calcium deficiency?

Comments (12)

• oberhasli1
    15 years ago

If you haven't seen her nurse, I would milk out your cow and get some colostrum into the calf as soon as possible. I only have experience with goats, but that first colostrum is so important. Is there any way you can put some kind of support around her and suspend her on all fours until she is able to stand?

I hope she improves. She is very cute. We had a black and white steer named Elvis that was a real sweetie.

Bonnie

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

My first thought was maybe it needs a little more time then I thought are you sure nothing is broken?

I have no experience with cows at all so I did a google on it and here is an exerpt from a thread I am linking below. i sure hope it helps:

New born Zebu with weak front legs I am sure we have all had this at one time or another, for those that are starting out or just being this is something to be address right away. After years of raising Zebu we have taken these calves with weak joints, which come from pulling to hard or sometimes the positioning in the cow. It is fixed rather easy with 1.5 inch PVC cut into lengths about 8 inches long and then cut in half the long way. Then take good old duck tape and wrap the ends go around about four times to make a padding top and bottom. Then place the brace on the calf's leg opposite the bow most times on the front of the legs just above the hoof line and then up at the shoulder, ( be careful not to get them to tight just kind of snug and leave them on for about five days to a week. Then take them off and keep them in an area where they don't have a lot of room to run until the leg gets stronger after the legs looks better give them more room. This has really worked great for us and we have passed this on to other breeders with great success. Hopefully this helps someone out if you have any questions feel free to email me or call. Also I have visited with the vet and they recommend a shot of vitamin AD&E.
    Good luck Lorin

Here is a link that might be useful: the link

• simpleme
    15 years ago

the above method with the PVC is the exact thing our vet did for a small heifer with weak ankles. After putting on the pvc he wrapped them in ace bandages. Having pulled her you may have hyper extended her knees. Do try to get her to nurse or get some colostrum in her. You can buy it at farm supply stores and mix with water...try setting on a bucket and put here across your knees and let someone give her a bottle, each time allowing more of her weight to be on her legs. you may end up with a bottle baby for a while but at least you'll save a really great looking calf.......

• claytamer
    15 years ago

Definitely, try to get her to nurse. If mom is gentle enough hold the calf up to nurse or milk the cow and bottle feed the calf. If this is not an option, get some colostrum and bottle feed. Mom's milk also serves as a scent marker for mom to know her calf. If you feed milk replacer, mom might not let her nurse even after her recovery. Colostrum doesn't usually have this effect.

I would hesitate to splint the legs as there may be tendon damage from hyperextension and splints will only make this worse. The bucket and bottle idea works well. Just be careful not to force her to keep her legs straight. Tendon damage takes a while to heal so don't press the issue. The AD&E shot will help aid in the healing process, but you are essentially putting her thru physical therapathy.

We've run in to this a quite a few times over the years with pulled calves and a vast majority have fully recovered.

The main thing try to get some of mom's milk(or colostrum) in her as soon as possible. JUST BE PATIENT with her and GOOD LUCK!

MJ-Grantville Farm

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

Follow Claytamers advice. Exactly the same that I would give. Stall the cow if she will accept it without stress. Don't force the calf to stand, let it the lay around all it wants. I believe the problem is from the rough birth and should recover with a little time and special care. Keep us posted.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

How is the calf today?

• claytamer
    15 years ago

How's that baby today? Doing well I hope.

• wandaredhead
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you guys so much!!!

Sorry I haven't let you know how she's doing before now.

We took your advice and reassurance with her.

Today she is getting up on her front legs by herself!!
    She is walking a little bit but mostly resting.

She has been nursing a little from mom but we have been giving her supplemental colostrum and nutritional feedings.

Mom has been pretty tolerant with us handling her.

She is so pretty!!!
    It does our hearts good just to watch her stand on her own.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Wanda
    In the Deeeep South

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

So Wanda you are from L.A.? For you Yankee's that's Lower Alabama. I'm in the Redneck Riviera part of Florida. We have tons of cattle here in the Pineywoods. What breed is the calf? How many head do you run?

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

So did you splint her legs straight or just leave her to her own devices?

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

awwww

keep us updated in photos

calves are soo cute and he is a looker.

• claytamer
    15 years ago

Wanda, I'm glad to hear she's doing well.

One other thought, there may be a bit of tearing with such a difficult birth. You may want to give mom an antibiotic shot. Just a preventive measure we use, it won't hurt the calf even if a little gets passed on. It might even help.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on her progress.

Best wishes,
    MJ