Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eggs safe after Sulmet?

Posted by claraserena 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 11:34

Three weeks ago we medicated our chickens with Sulmet. When will the eggs be safe to eat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eggs safe after Sulmet?

According to www.drugs.com:
residue Warnings
DO NOT MEDICATE CHICKENS OR TURKEYS PRODUCING EGGS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. TO AVOID DRUG RESIDUES IN EDIBLE FLESH WITHDRAW MEDICATION FROM CHICKENS AND TURKEYS TEN (10) DAYS PRIOR TO SLAUGHTER FOR FOOD.

o

I had read about the 10 day wait before slaughter. But what about eggs? This would apply for any medication of a chicken--when would traces of the meds be out of the eggs? WE are getting SO many eggs now and friends who buy eggs are missing them!

o

I always wait 2 weeks (14 days) before eating eggs again after ANY medications. We've never had any problems. :)

Velvet ~:>

o

I have 2 sets of chickens. The baby chicks are eating medicated grower feed and the laying chicks are eating non-medicated layer feed. Lately the big ones are eating the little ones feed. I just thought about this tonight. SHould I be eating those eggs since the layers are eating the medicated grower feed? What happens to the eggs and what effects will it have on the human who eats these eggs?

o

The chicken's cannot have more sulmet in them than you feed them, If 10 days is enough to clear the meat for consumption but 2 is not then its a safe bet to say that the chickens are clearing it from their bodies. After 14 days enough is probably going to be cleared that there will be very little left in the bird as a whole, and there for very little left to be put in the eggs.

Medicated feed for laying birdsis probably not good for you. typically they are medicated to prevent coccidiosis, which is caused by a protazoan, that has a body chemistry surprisingly similar to that found in you and I.

o

uh i just ate 2eggs from my hens eating pen pals starter grower medicated hope ill b ok

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here