Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamghatten

Rural Road Drivers - VENT!

pamghatten
14 years ago

So the weather has gotten better, so now it's time to drive like maniacs! My rural road is posted at 45 mph. It's hilly and twisty, until you get to in front of my house and then it's straight and flat for less than 1/2 mile when you get to the stop sign.

Now that the weathers better, a majority of drivers treat that flat part like their own speedway, flying by at 70 mph. Many of us walk dogs down the road, one neighbor rides her horse, kids are out on bikes ... where is everyone going so fast? To get to the stop sign quicker?

So I drive out of my driveway this morning, and past my first neighbors house and stop. I saw something by the side of the road, but wasn't really sure what I saw. So I back up ... there 2 feet off the road on the grass is a deer ... alive but with an obviously broken leg. Struggling to get up.

So someone clipped her and kept going.

I was making her nervous and she was trying harder to get up, so I backed farther down the road and called my other neighbor who is a retired dairy farmer. He told me he'd call the sheriff, so I should go to work. They came and put her out of her misery, thank goodness.

So please slow down out there and if you hit something ... stop and make sure it's OK or dead!

My rant is done for now ...

Comments (17)

• woodrose711
    14 years ago

I hear you! There's a lot of hills and turns around me, also. People pass going uphill, only to scare the cr*p out of you as you're about to go downhill, and they drive way too fast. There's a lot of farm machinery out, you never know what's just over the next hill, or around the next curve. I'm always afraid someone's going to die! What's the hurry? An early grave? Even a school bus driver was confronted, to which he replied that there was no posted speed, so it implied you could go as fast as you wished! I think it's a "general rule", if not an outright law, that on certain class roads, there's a top speed, even if it's not posted.

• msmitoagain
    14 years ago

We have the same problem on our road. It's an additional problem because it's a cut thru from the main highway and a couple of other towns to the one that we live in.

I've found to keep the idiots from passing me right at my driveway as we are going into the curve, I have to get into part of the other lane to pull into my driveway. I go ahead and put my blinker on when I do this to get them off my bumper.

Generally as soon as I pull into my driveway, they stomp the gas and you hear them hauling butt all the way to the highway. I really don't care if it makes somebody mad. I just don't want to be involved in a bad accident by some idiot trying to pass me in front of my house.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

What makes me mad is drivers who have never driven on a rural road and think just because there is no line they own the middle of the road. And some don't care how far over you have to move to avoid.

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, I feel better now! LOL!

I forgot about the idiots who try to pass me as I'm turning onto my road, it's at the top of a hill and people have tried to pass me at the top of that hill when they can't see what's coming up at them. Especially young guys in huge pickup trucks! Do they think they are indestructable?

I pity the poor guys on the tractors trying to get from field to field ...

• johanna_h
    14 years ago

I saw two cats on my way home that had been hit, one looked just like one of my cats. Our road is straight as a pin. I'm always sad when they come and fix the potholes -- at least people slow down for those!

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

• seramas
    14 years ago

Thank GOD we live on a small dirt road. One time I was coming home and someone was tailgating me. So I slowed down from about 35 mph to 10 mph until I turned into my drive. About an hour later I saw that same car speed past our house at 60-65. No more that 30 seconds later I heard a horrendous noise. Drove down the road to see what had happened. They had forgotten to slow down for the stop sign and went through a small stand of trees and 200 feet into a field. It was estimated they were going close to 90 mph. Their dad's new SUV was ripped in half when they went through the trees. Fortunate for them they survived.

I have 2 bumper stickers that say, "The Closer you get, the SLOWER I go" and "I drive at a safe speed for the DISTANCE you are following".

• sheaviance1
    14 years ago

I like the bumperstickers!!! I recently seen one that said "I may be old and slow, tis true, but I am still ahead of you"

I have a windy, hilly road as well. The biggest problem we have, other than speeding, is the number of trucks that cannot maintain their lane. I have never seen a truck go around one of these curves in their own lane, even when doing a respectable speed. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to skirt a ditch to avoid a head on collision.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

I use to work nights and I guess a farmer got mad at speeders because a 4x4 was strategically placed across the road as a speed bump!

• seamommy
    14 years ago

We live on a rural road at the end of a cul-de-sac, and we still have had two of our dogs hit and killed less than 200' from our driveway by people who didn't have the decency to stop and let someone know what had happened. How does anyone drive so fast and reckless and gain so much speed that they can hit and kill a 70lb animal and just keep going?

One nice Sunday afternoon I had finished gardening and was sitting on my front porch swing enjoying the evening when a black Mercedes pulled up in front of the house. A man got out walked behind his car and proceeded to pee in my yard. So I stood up and waved to him and said, "I hope you're done." He left quickly.

Often the weekend "lookie-loos" come barrelling up the road, only to slam on the brakes pull a wheelie in the cut-de-sac and go flying back down the way they came. One time a scroungy, scruffy looking guy in a beat-up truck drove up and stopped and just sat there looking at the house. We have a brick and iron fence so I wasn't too scared although I was alone that day. He stayed for quite a while so I finally walked over to the fence and said kinda nasty, 'Whadda ya want?" Then he just smiled real nice and said he wanted a garden just like mine and that I had the 'purdiest' yard he'd seen all day.

You just never can tell about people.

• seramas
    14 years ago

My old bumpersticker read, "You can go a MILLION time too slow down the road, but only ONCE too fast!".

• calliope
    14 years ago

"Generally as soon as I pull into my driveway, they stomp the gas and you hear them hauling butt"

LOL here, because I know that routine. Like you really give a rat's patootie they had to slow down to the speed limit. The worst part of it is they tailgate, and yeah........pass on bridges, hills and usually across the solid yellow lines. I've had several run off the road to avoid driving up my butt when I turn off on my drive, even though I've signalled for a quarter mile, sometimes with my arm out the window, slowed down etc. They often have a cell stuck up their ear. The occasional cruiser who ventures down this road sees the tail-gating and turn their heads the other way. Speed isn't the only killer.

Driving a tractor on this road is putting your life in peril and we have to occasionally, as do the farmers up and down the road who need to get from one field or farm to another. They forget who was here first. Ditto the linemen from the utility companies. We had one last year who lambasted us for having trees under the wires. Uhm....they cut the top off the tree, refused to fell it, even though they killed it, so we could pay the expense of its removal. I counted the rings on that old pine. 110 of them. I asked him if he knew when the rural electrification act was? Then I told him that tree was here long before electric was and some stupid utility company put their lines under and through them. rofl.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

After the hurricanes of 2004I lived at the end of a cul de sac. We had a lot of out of state fly by night workers. One day I was coming home and one Out Of State work truck was in front of my home emptying all his TRASH into my yard!!!!!!! I followed him far enough to make him nervous then thought so what would I do if I caught up to him. JERKS!

• kasiec
    14 years ago

Great topic...I live in an older unincorporated neighborhood that is surrounded by beautiful new estate track homes. My road is still dirt, theirs is asphalt. Their kids have dirt motorbikes and use my dirt road neighborhood as a race track. The noise those thing make is unbelievable!!
    Kasie

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

msmitoagain, am I reading correctly that you are blocking part of the passing lane on purpose so people behind you can't drive by while you are waiting to turn left into your driveway? If so, why do you care if they pass? Aren't you afraid of having someone hit you (or worse, the way people are today) when you do that?

If I misread that, never mind. But it struck me as odd...if it IS what you are doing, it isn't wise to antagonize people... :(

My mom's place is on a main highway in a tiny town in the Sierras. There is a mom & pop market next to her house, and for some reason people feel COMPELLED to get out of their cars and pee against the side of the market in full view of my mom's house (all grown men, by the way). It's like they are magnetically drawn from miles around or something! We've yelled at so many it got to be a sport...wait until they juuuust get unzipped and THEN yell at them! :) Some of those guys could jump pretty high...A lot of those people weren't even using the market, just stopping to pee. What's weird is that there is a public park, WITH public bathrooms, just across the road and down about 500 yards, right next to the road. Fully visible. Picky pee-ers? :)

We put up a nice split-rail fence in the front yard to keep people from pulling into our driveway and picnicing in our front yard (and leting their screaming kids run loose, dogs poop and leaving their trash). After a few years we also placed a couple of larger rocks in front of the fence because we got tired of having people backing into it and knocking it down.

People do REALLY strange things on vacation that they'd never dream of doing otherwise, or having them done to THEM at home. Bizarre.

Velvet ~:>

• calliope
    14 years ago

Velvet, if she is doing what I am doing, she is turning left into her drive off a road, only I have had idiots who weren't paying attention try to pass me on the left as I am turning left legally. I have had two end up off the road when it dawned on them that they could either go in the ditch or hit me broadside. Yes........I can see her edging into the left lane to block them from doing the same thing.

• seramas
    14 years ago

Velvet,

If you follow them home from vacation you'll probably find them STRANGE at home too.

• jessinpiner
    14 years ago

I hear ya! The sad thing is, my HUSBAND is one of those idiots that drives way too fast down our main road.