Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
therian

Rabbit Farming

therian
13 years ago

Hello everyone I have a question for any of the more advanced farmers out there. I been doing my research and have found most my answers but I have a few more that I am unable to find. My choice for rabbits would be the more popular rabbits such as New Zealand / Californian.

1. Should I crossbreed the two for meat purposes? Would it provide a superior amount or even a quicker amount of meat? If so does any combo work better? Such as male Zealand and female cali provide more meat than female zealand/male cali?

2. How hardy are these two breeds for colder temperatures? I ask as my great grandfather left his bunnies out all winter long in Indiana without covering them or anything. (He had a place of shelter however in their cages)

3. I am wanting to start out with 6 females 2 males just to get the learning curve out of the way. In theory this could produce up to 60 off-spring if I was to breed them at the same time. I would let them get to around 10 weeks then harvest if they are proper weight.

My question there is would it hurt to put them all in a 1 large pen after I have weened them off their mother? None of them would be kept alive unless I saw superior traits. Mind you the adults would be in their own cages.

Appreciate any of the help. I just wanted to make sure get my facts straight before I do anything. Also if you have any good links to read id love to get them. Thank you.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County