Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
backyardfarming

How much do you charge for your eggs?

backyardfarming
16 years ago

I have just 5 hens in my backyard farm, and I'm getting enough eggs for the kids to sell to the neighbors every once in a while. I'm wondering what the going rate would be for 1/2 dozen and 1 dozen eggs. I'm not planning on making a profit, just money for the kids to put into their college fund.

Also, what do you put your eggs in to deliver the eggs? I have been collecting used egg cartons from the neighbors and cutting them in half to sell 1/2 dozens.

Comments (7)

• lindakay
    16 years ago

I have fourteen chickens and some days I will get fourteen eggs. But almost always I get at least ten. They did take a week off and only layed three eggs. My brother in law won't let me just give him eggs . He insists on paying $1.50. Which is reasonable. Otherwise I would charge $1. Year around. If eggs go down or if they go up. My close neighbors I just give them to them. If my kids were small I would leave it up to them. It is a good way for them to learn how to make and manage money. An egg delivery business would really be good for kids. I have a feeling that I am a little old fashioned though. My hens are red hens and very happy chickens. They sing all the time. Linda

• johanna_h
    16 years ago

I charge $3 a dozen and am thinking of raising it to $3.50. I have multi-breeds of hens so the eggs are all different colors. I buy clear plastic egg cartons from Eggcartons.com, and label them with home printed labels that say "Beautiful Eggs, Busy Solitude Farm". I put a second label on with a chicken proverb (for example, "If you are born lucky, even your rooster will lay eggs.").

My area is a weekend getaway for people from Chicago. I guess they're used to paying more in the first place, and they really enjoy having very fresh, beautiful eggs.

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: See the hens at Busy Solitude Farm!

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

Here in Central Texas, a dozen white eggs from a commercial producer go for $1.80. Whatever the going price for grocery store eggs is in your area, you might want to consider charging double. People value what they pay for, and if they pay for free-range, farm-raised eggs, you will have a loyal and enthusiastic customer base!

• Dibbit
    16 years ago

I would agree with both marlingardener and Johanna - charge at a minimum what the grocery store eggs cost, and better, charge what the eggs would cost as free-range eggs from a store. I AM assuming that your hens have a fenced yard, at least, and are allowed run loose at times? Your eggs are fresher than any that a store would carry, and more likely taste and look better. Since the money is being saved for education, I would want to get the value of my labors, if it were me.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    16 years ago

I charge $2 a dozen. I have a customer who will take 7-10 dozen at a time and will drive out and pick them up. She also always returns the cartons. She IS my best customer! I could probably get more, but I am happy to get rid of them. I have 24 hens and I am gathering 20 + eggs a night.

When my farmers market gets back running, I will charge $2.50 a dozen.

Great Question

• sullicorbitt
    16 years ago

I charge $3 for mine. I used to charge $4 when they were on organic feed but I got to the point where I could no longer justify the high price of $20 per bag. I have friends who save their plastic egg cartons for me so I recycle those. Mine are also multi-colored. I've noticed the supermarket eggs have gone up quite a bit lately, I've seen organic brands up to $6 per dozen.

-Sheila

• kydaylilylady
    16 years ago

Last summer folks at our market were selling eggs for $3 a dozen. That was when I was paying $1-$1.25 a dozen for store eggs. Store eggs here are now $2 a dozen. Feed and fuel costs have risen drastically. I'd say if they aren't charging at least $4 a dozen they aren't making anything. Unless you just love to give money away don't undercut yourself on price. You need to put a pencil to it and figure your feed cost, hen replacement costs, supplies etc. and see what your bottom line is. Don't forget to pay yourself for feeding, gathering and handling those eggs. You can't work for free.

Janet

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County