Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Ducks

Posted by soteriagal 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 14:44

We bought baby ducks two weeks ago and they are about half feathered now. We have an enclosed pen area for them next to our chicken run all ready and waiting. We've put a large dog house in it which we'll fill with hay so they can have shelter.

How do I know when it's time to move them outside? It's getting warm now in north central Indiana, 50s, 60s, 70s in the day and 30s, 40s at night. They are quickly outgrowing the kiddie pool they are in! Do they have to be fully feathered before we can put them outside in their new pen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Ducks

Are they still under a heat lamp? If so I'd gradually decrease the heat. How many are there? If a lot they can help keep each other warm, but also run the risk of suffocation.

If they were mine I'd wait until they are fully feathered, . Also I'd make sure no predators (dogs, weasel) can get to them, particularly at night.
Brendasue

o
RE: Baby Ducks

Well, they are still under a heat lamp but it's a foot above them. I will be decreasing the heat and even turning it off as the weather gets warmer. There are three of them and I believe they are about four weeks old. We are planning to put them outside in an enclosed area that is part of our chicken run. I suppose better safe than sorry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here