Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goose broke baby ducks leg

Posted by bemused_hearted CA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 15:02

Hello

Yesterday afternnon, I bought to baby geese and two baby ducks as companions for an adult female goose. She took to them all at first (she never had babies of her own, though she tried three years now) Anyhow, I went out to fed them this mornig and discovered while she has the goslings with her and is very protective of them, she despises the ducklings and even broke a leg on one of them. What can I do to help it (if I can catch it that it) I dont want to chase it and have it hurt itself more, but I dont want to just leave it like that either if I can help it. I have googled and other searches as well, and cannot find an answer. Plus, can the duckling survive and manage as an adult duck with a gimp leg? Will it be able to fly and such?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goose broke baby ducks leg

I have no advice but I am sorry about your duckling :( Lori

o

When did you 'introduce' the babies to her? Most do it at night, so in the morning they have the 'smell' of the mother on them so the mother thinks they are her own. If you tried it already and she's still acting like this...I guess you are going to be their mama now! Poor little duckling...they are the cutest little critters.

o
RE: Goose broke baby ducks leg PS

Oh yeah, also is your goose broody? If not I'm surprised she's taken to any of them.

o

You can cast her leg. If you need more info, email me.

So sorry about your duck.:(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here