Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Hen rejecting chicks

seamommy
14 years ago

I purchased 25 new baby chicks on Saturday and when I put them under my hen she stayed on the nest, so I thought she would accept them. But in the morning she got off the nest and took off. Then later when she went back into the coop, she attacked the chicks, so I took her out. Is there any way to help this hen accept these chicks? I wonder if I put some of the scent from one of her eggs on them if she would find them more attractive.

The reason I hoped she would accept them was because she adopted another brood earlier this year, but they are up and on their own now. She hangs around the door to the coop and acts like she wants to go in, but she was so rough with them, I'm afraid to let her near them. I don't have any problem keeping the pullets and the hen out of the coop all day and only letting them go in to roost in the evening, after the chicks have bedded down. Any other suggestions? Cheryl

Comments (6)

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

Do you have a heat lamp for them?. Chicks do not do well getting chilled.How about food. Any chick starter and water.?

• west_texas_peg
    14 years ago

Was your hen broody? Did you put the chicks in during the night?

Appears you will have to raise your chicks in a brooder without the hen.

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

25?! Geez, I'd run, too! *L*

Seriously, I think that's way too many for her. Also, is she broody, and how old are the chicks?

If she isn't broody I don't think there is any chance of her adopting the chicks. Even my broody hens weren't interested in my latest batch of chicks--12--when they hatched. And I tried three different broodys.

You may have to just do the broody box thing.

Velvet ~:>

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

She wasn't broody when I put the last batch under her and she took to them right away. I think she was lonely. No she's not broody now either, but I was hoping she'd feel "motherly" to them. They are ten days old, and I put them under her in the middle of the night. She stayed on them all night but got off in the morning and left the coop.

Yes I always start broods with medicated chick starter and I have a heat lamp but don't want to use it in the coop. They have a protected corner with fresh hay they can cuddle up in under a large basket. They've done fine so far. The only reason I left them out there was because the weather has been so warm. I made a screen door for my coop, which is really a small barn so I can keep the big folks out and still let in fresh air. I also have a small "chicken door" that I open in the morning and close at night.

The barn has a gray shingle roof so it stays safe, warm and cozy inside when all the wooden doors are closed. The screen door is made of small guage chicken wire, and it latches so I can protect the chicks inside from most predators. I'm not sure they would be safe from snakes, but I didn't want to keep them in the house.

It's just too bad for the chicks. I had a hen, we called her Tippy, several years ago who brooded chicks all the time. When another hen rejected her own chicks, Tippy took them along with her own and raised them all. When other chicks were hatched, Tippy would go to them and just take them away from the hens and just "mother" all over them. She was a wonderful old hen. Poor old thing died last winter sitting in her favorite dust bath.

Anyway, I wish my hen would cooperate, but I guess I can brood a flock of chicks too. hehe. Thanks for all your inputs. Cheryl

• seramas
    14 years ago

With my seramas I would put 4-6 month old cockerels with the newly hatched chicks. They will call them to eat tidbits they find and will even brood them. 10 is the max I've done this with.

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Seramas, this is a wonderful mental image, especially with those little Serama roos. How cute! :)

Velvet ~:>

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH