Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

Ducklings vs large crows etc.

goldenpond
14 years ago

My ducks have been setting awhile and because I have a nice habitat for all creatures the crows hang out too.They have actually attacked hawks that were dive bombing the ducks so I feel they have a spot here. But now that eggs are around it seems they are swooping down as if in search of,,,,,, babies perhaps? I don't know if any will hatch as only one seems to be a REALLY good setter and even she changed nests half way through. Do the crows smell the eggs? Are they awaiting live chicks?

How do you get the ducklings from the mom if they hatch when Im not around? I fear for them with hawks,turtles and crows about. They all get secured at night. Would a crow fight the mother?

Will the drakes kill ?

Anyone have experience? What do I do to prepare just in case we get ducklings?

thanks,

tanya

Comments (8)

• doninalaska
    14 years ago

We don't have crows, but we have ravens and magpies, and I have seen both carry wild ducklings away, so I don't thing a domestic duck would have a chance. When I had ducks years ago and allowed them on a lake behind our house, the eagles killed every one of the adults and we could do nothing since they are protected. I now keep everything in a pen with a large net (old gill net) over the top. We have found that to be the only way we can protect our birds from eagles, owls, ravens, and magpies. We even had owls kill adult ganders; they couldn't carry the carcass, so they just took the head and neck and left the rest.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Crows will take any egg they can carry, and any small animal they can catch.

They will eat your ducklings if they can get to them.

• huisjen
    14 years ago

I once had a couple dozen ducks, and found a duck skeleton among them. Just a beak, feet, last couple primary flight feathers on each side, and a cross of bones. The next morning I saw two ravens tearing into a freshly killed duck.

After you shoot a raven, the rest of them back right off. They're very smart birds, and communicate quite well among themselves. I've never had a problem with ravens since.

Dan

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The thing with shooting them,I heard they remember BUT,,,they do scare off the hawks.They may be ravens Im not sure,They are big and sound like they are saying Uh- Uhhh.None of them touch the adult s or even bother them but Ill have to grab any babies and keep them in a pen. Really might sell them I have enough ducks!

• GOGINEE_YAHOO_COM
    14 years ago

TODAY I WAS FEEDING A DUCK AND HER 14 DUCKLINGS AT THE PARK AND WITNESSED A LARGE CROW STEAL A DUCKLING AND FLY AWAY WITH IT. I WAS SO MAD THAT I CHASED THE CROW AND IT DROPPED THE POOR LITTLE THING. THEN CAME THE HARD PART OF TRYING TO CATCH THE POOR LITTLE TERRIFIED DUCKLING BUT I FINALLY DID AND RETURNED IT TO ITS ANXIOUS MOTHER. I HATE THOSE DAMN CROWS!!!

• goldenpond
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good job MIKEY!We need a cape for you,we'll skip the tights if that ok LOL!
    Must be awful to have things swooping at ya from the air and snatching your webbed feet in the water.They are really Low in the food chain Im afraid.Poor beby is probably terrified.

• tduck
    14 years ago

I have a female duck sitting on 11 eggs against the wall of a large retail store hidden in tall grass. It's also near a busy road. I know it can take days for the eggs to hatch. Will the baby ducklings stay with their mother after they hatch or will they get curious and stray away? I'm worried the babies will get scared and scury away from the mother duck. I'm so worried for her and the ducklings but I know there really is nothing I can do. Any advise?

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

They will stay with her ... the hard part is getting them from the nest spot to the closest pond.

She has to lead them there, on the ground.