Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kumquatlady

Are you rasing Muscovy ducks?

kumquatlady
13 years ago

At last, we found our dream home after many years of wishing, hoping, and praying about it. 12 and a half acres of complete seclusion and privacy, totally hidden from the road was this small country cottage! It was love at first sight!! Now we have all this land to raise few Muscovies for meat and eggs but I don't want them to freely roam the property for fear of wild animals and also don't want the stress of trying catching them when time comes for our family to enjoy the fruit of our labor. We are thinking to build 8ft chain link fence on half acre of land enclosed with top and couple of kitty pools for their water. Has any one raised Muscovies in the confinement? We will start out with 5 females and 1 drake and they'll free range some inside of the fenced area and we will also feed them some. I heard they like to fly but would they be reasonably happy in this kind of set up? Please share your experience. Thanks.

Comment (1)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

The cost of covering 1/2 acre with a bird-proof top will astound you.

They REALLY like to fly, and can go relative long distances. If you clip the feathers on one wing it keeps them from doing more than short hops.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz