Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hatching duck eggs

Posted by brothergoom none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 15:35

I have 10 Cambell hybrid eggs I found under a hen by my pond. I have a drake and four 10 month old hens. There were 15 but I marked and left 3 in the nest and fed the other two to the dogs:), that way I could look/smell them. My question is this..... I'm going to put these in my incubator, Do I start my 28 day count from today or from say 5 days ago as that is when some were probably laid.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hatching duck eggs

• Posted by Mrmk none (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 23:53

You have to start from the first day of incubation. Eggs are laid one a day until they are all laid, but not incubated until the last one is laid so they all hatch the same day. Sounds like the clutch is complete, as most lay 12-14. I would start the count from the day you saw her sitting on them for a while. She won't sit there except to lay the eggs until they are all ready or else the incubation will start. If you know the exact day she laid the last egg, that would be day 1.

o
RE: hatching duck eggs

Thanks Mrmk. Are you a duck fancier? If so are you aware of a way to encourage nesting in a particular place, or am I destine to spend my limited free time searching for the nests in the brush. I have two different nest shelter built that are shunned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here