Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Fence-removing 16' boards from posts

Posted by steelskies 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 15:50

How to get the oak boards off the yellow pine posts without wrecking the boards. The oak boards are nailed on with those nails that have the ridges, so they grab into the posts good. But now I have to take some of those boards down, since I'm moving the fence. How do I do this without wrecking the boards. There is no way we can just pull out the nails, they are in there really tight. The posts are the southern pine, which is a very hard wood.

Once in a great while you can pound on the back of the board to loosen it a little bit, but many times, the nail head breaks when you try to pull the nail out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Fence-removing 16' boards from posts

@steelskies--I'm assuming that the boards are running parallel to the ground. If this is the case, try gently pounding the flatter side of a large crowbar between the post and the back side of the board. You want to try to get a nail shaft into the "V" of the end of the bar. Rock the bar back and forth until you loosen the whole piece (nail and board). Continue doing this until all the nails securing the board are free.

An alternative to this if: 1) you also have to move the posts and 2) the current posts are 8' apart is to simply saw off the ends of the boards as close to the nails as possible (use a circular saw set to the depth of the boards and make a plunge or straight cut depending on the width of the board). You will lose a little board length, but you can reset the posts a little closer together to save as much wood as possible. If the posts are closer than 8', I would not recommend this.

Best Wishes--Carl

o

Loosen the boards a bit by tapping a prybar between it and the post, then cut the nail with a sawzall.

o

I was going to suggest the same thing. A sawzall will work good to cut the nails.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here