Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any idea what kind of duckling this is (was)?

Posted by mersiepoo 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 14, 09 at 17:33

Sigh..why is it always your favorite one that dies?? I got the 'Homesteaders Delight" from McMurray. 10 brown egg layers, 2 ducklings, 2 goslings and 2 turkeys. The ducks seemed to be okay, but the one had a squinky eye that was closed (this is the one that passed away too). The next day duckie seemed to be doing well, the squinky eye was open. I had to go away for 2 days so my husband took care of the chickies. When I came home that night, I did a quick check to see if all was well. Duckie may have been dead already, but they may have been sitting on top of the duck, which is why I didn't notice till the next day. :( Anyway, I thought this little duckling was so cute, and wished that this one would have lived. I don't know what type this is, as they don't tell you what species of duck you will get.
Does anyone have any idea? This duckie was pretty small, and was mostly black with some yellow. Such a sweet little one, I'm so sad this one didn't make it. Not sure what happened. I would like to get more of them, and was wondering if anyone knows what type of duck this is. Here is his picture (the first ones) I also included some pics of my other chickies too. So far they are all still alive. :)

Thanks for any help, i looked in their catalog but didn't see a picture of the duckling there.

Mystery duckling

little duckling, RIP 4/09

Photobucket

Pictures of my other peeps

Other duckling (maybe a pekin?)

Photobucket

Gosling (I believe they are african geese)

Photobucket

Turkey poult (taking a drink) no idea what kind these are, argh! LOL!

Photobucket

Curious chickie!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any idea what kind of duckling this is (was)?

kind of looks like a mallard? but the markings are not quite dark enuf

o

It doesnt appear to have typical wild type down as a Mallard(gray) would; I would guess with the bicolored bill and legs, its an Ancona.

o

lOOKED UP PHOTOS OF THEM AND YEAH YEAH YEAH I AGREE

o

Based on the striped toes i'd say its a black Magpie duckling....or an Ancona.

o

Thank you Fancifowl and MsJay, yeah that looks like an ancona to me too, found a picture of a duckling that looked like the little one I had. Weird because the hatchery doesn't list them as being sold, how strange, lol!

Now I'm hooked on ducks too, hee hee! The pekin doesn't seem to friendly, he/she doesn't like to be picked up, too bad the duckie didn't imprint on me, oh well.

Heres the pics of the ducklings I found, the one on the far right looks a lot like the one I had, only much bigger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duckling picture (eighth picture down)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here