Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vectra vs Frontline vs Advantix

Posted by bill7 NW MN (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 17:51

We have a new vet in town. This place now sells Vectra (I think) instead of Frontline plus. This would be for our "muts."

Anyone used it?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vectra vs Frontline vs Advantix

I've not tried the Vectra, but IMHO, Frontline and Advantix were a waste of time and money. The best thing I've found you can get for fleas is Comfortis once a month tablets from your Vet. There's an OTC daily version called Capstar that also works great, but for our multiple dog household, the once a month stuff is the easiest. (Comfortis is not available for cats, not sure about Capstar) Within 4 hours, every flea on your dog will be either dead or dying, and unlike using a dip or a oily drop on the back, the dog is safe for anyone to handle; no poisonous residue.

If you also have a tick problem, the Zema Tick Arrest collar, or Preventic brand available at a Vet are the absolute best. Either one is fine to use with the Comfortis tablet.

I don't sell the stuff, or own stock in the companies, I just know they work.

o

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the websites, as I am wondering if the collars are waterproof, etc.

Thanks

o

I do not like vectra 3d. it has irritated all three of my dogs. They keep shaking their heads like they have ear infections and they're scratching at their necks and in general are very unhappy. I'm sad my vet no longer carries advantix. I'm going to have to buy it elsewhere.

o

We've used FrontLine Plus on our now 13 yr old Daisy for many years with great success. No pest problems on her or in house, no side effects either. About 6 mos ago our vet started selling the Vectra, discontinuing the sale of FrontLine Plus. So far the Vectra works the same BUT never really seems to dry, leaving residue within her coat where applied to the skin. FrontLine never did that, always completely dried, no residue, within 24 hrs. I've always been very careful doing the application, getting on the skin----still a pets coat will wick up or absorb some of the stuff anyway. FrontLine dries, Vectra does not. I'm going back to FrontLine soon----will find a vet that still sells it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here