Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelda1234

Plants and Chickens

nelda1234
15 years ago

I read the post RE: crabapples and Chickens and even went to the link that was posted and found a list of plants that were harmful to chickens. My question is I have some of the plants that are on the list and my chickens do not bother them at all, should I be worried? Also, I want to plant morning glorys on my Arbor but this too is on the list. Should I not plant them and find something else to climb the Arbor? Is it the seeds that are harmful to them or the plants themselves? I really had my heart set on Morning Glorys. I do not want to hurt (kill) my chickens. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Comments (10)

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

I have morning glory growing wild all over my place and I have not had a chicken die from them.

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

Unless poisonous plants are the only thing to peck at/eat they wont mess with the bad stuff. dont worry. chickens are smarter than some people!

• annpat
    15 years ago

My chickens don't care if a plant is poisonous or not. They dig up and kill, without discrimination, every living green thing in their path. I'm very curious how you will get a morning glory large enough to worry about it killing a chicken. In two days time, my chickens dug up and killed every perennial I have. If I hadn't stopped them, they'd have destroyed my rhubarb bed, too.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

You might consider penning them. I have to keep my chickens penned or they will destroy the vegetable garden.

It is a very large pen, though, with roosts, sun, shade and lost of space. I planted wild grapevine on the south side for shade last fall. I'm hoping I can get it to cover the fence at that end if I put a strip of cardboard or wood about 1.5' high along the bottom of the fence to keep the chickens from poking their heads through and eating it. They've eaten about an 8" strip around the outside of the fence.

I think they would also destroy my perennial beds if they weren't penned. They scratched off all the mulch I put on the new shrubs while free-ranging last week. That's when I lost one to a hawk. No more free-ranging.

• nelda1234
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I don't rightly know - LOL! I "used" to have the most beautiful Hasta, Japanese ferns etc....I had some rhubarb too was able to save some of it - sooo yes I do forsee a problem - I will have to let you know if the Morning Glories make it - We will see if they even make it to the climbing stage!! :)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

All things considered morning glories aren't that toxic. In low concentrations they have a laxative effect, and your chickens may learn not to eat them that way. My Grandmother had Grandpa Ott's growing along side her freerange chickens and did not report having a problem with that when I asked her.

The seeds contain LSA, and that could make for very loopy chickens that might hurt themselves, if eaten.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Nelda I am confused with your question. Are you are talking about that link that I posted on the crabappleas and chickens thread? If so that list is the SAFE PLANTS FOR BIRDS list.

• nelda1234
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Same link but there was another list above that one that listed poisoness plants/chemicals and MG were on that list.

http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/poison.htm

I wanted to make sure I was not going to harm my girls with planting something that might hurt them :) When I did not see Morning Glorys on the safe list -- I was concerned.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

ohhh okay I was wondering...
    I did a search for chickens and morning glories and found several websites that had photos of their chickens around MG. No one mentioned any problems with it, not to say there aren't.

Here is a link that might be useful: found this interesting...should ease your worries

• nelda1234
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Msjay-Thank you! That was a good link! I feel much better about it now and hope that I can keep my chickens out of them long enough so that mine will look as pretty as the ones in the picture :)

Thanks again!

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor