Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veggie garden near horse pasture...are cherry tomatoes a problem?

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 18:22

The only good place for my kitchen garden is pretty close to the horse pasture. I'd like to grow cherry tomatoes for the nieces and nephews (and me) but I've read tomato plants can be toxic for horses. I don't know if birds will spread that many plants, but I don't want to find out this was a huge mistake. Should I have concerns, or am I overthinking this???

Thanks for the input. I have six horses so I do NOT need vet bills. If it's a bad idea, I can get cherry tomatoes at Mom's house :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veggie garden near horse pasture...are cherry tomatoes a prob

Yes anything in the nighshade family is toxic (Tomatoe & potato leaves).

Having said that we plant tomatoes in our garden, which is in the middle of the horse pasture. Fencing is very secure, and they cannot reach over to eat the tomato plants as I plant them at least 4ft away from the fence.

Volunteer tomatoes come up every year in our horse pasture, perhaps 4 or 5 plants. I've never seen the horses eat them, then again they have free choice hay & pasture 24/7 so never feel the need to eat them, but that doesn't mean yours wont. I don't think a nibble or two will hurt them, but I don't know the amount ingested that will.

Brendasue

o

Brendasue- Thank you for responding :)

I planted a few tomato plants last year and the birds didn't touch them, so no volunteers that I've noticed. I've heard that birds like to eat cherry tomatoes, so that's why I'm a little more concerned. Our horses are on a large pasture 24/7 and get hay about nine months a year. I don't think they'd eat the tomatoes, but....I may just stick to the larger tomatoes and keep the cherry tomatoes up at mom's. Thanks again!

o

Can you maybe create a covering made of hardware cloth (welded wire mesh) to keep the birds out?

I didn't know that tomato plants were toxic for horses, huh! Learn something new everyday. :) Thanks!

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here