Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is 5 foot fencing safe enough?

Posted by beeliz 2 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 18:34

I have redone my fenced area for my 2 pygmies and 8 hens...I put in a 5 foot fence with 7 foot poles...I lined the bottom with rocks all along the bottom to discourage predators. Is this safe enough for daytime use? cause everyone goes in at night before dark. I'm concerned because last fall I had a fox attack and lost a few because the fencing wasn't great...I just want to make sure this one is going to be ok...thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is 5 foot fencing safe enough?

What kind of fence--chicken wire, hardware cloth...? You need to make sure it is strong enough to withstand a VERY determined predator.

My rule of thumb is, if I was outside the pen and could tear my way in, so could a predator.

Velvet ~:>

o

ok..it's a heavy duty farming fence with squares about 2 inch in diameter..it's strong and sturdy.I've also pegged in 1 foot pegs along the bottom of it...last time the back of the fence was chicken wire so of course the fox just broke through it, hope this will suffice !

o

My fiance said when he lived on the eastern plains of Colorado and built his chicken house that he burried broken beer bottles along the perimiter to deter varmits

o

haha! I have plenty of those!! haha!! God knows :)

o

Adult beverages and gardening are a good mix. Just be sure to bury them deep enough that they don't work up and "reach out and get you" if you forget they are there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here