Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooster with warm leg

Posted by laturcotte1 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 18:37

Neighbor called me, she has a rooster that started to limp. She checked his leg and it is slightly swollen and warm to the touch. He is limping more today and is starting to hold it up. I have amoxicillin liquid. I had it for my dog. I gave her 1.5 ml but she is 19 lbs. Can she give this to the rooster at .5 ml? Will it do more harm than good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooster with warm leg

My vet (and they are farm vets) doesn't do chickens. sigh. But, I suspected one of my best roos had infectious synovitis, asked him if he could give me anything for it, and he mixed me up a powerful antibiotic I had to inject daily into the rooster's breast muscle. Even if vets won't do chickens they can tell you dosage and what is safe and effective. Sorry, you might want to check out the pet forum. There are some pros who frequent it, and they might be able to help.

o
RE: Rooster with warm leg

Sounds like Bumblefoot. She should check the underside of his foot pad and between his toes for an open wound, usually older by now (no blood, just a hole) and packed with dirt. The warmth, limping and swelling is caused by the infection, and it won't go away or improve by leaving the wound uncleaned and treated--it's a tough micro-bacteria.

She'll need to soak his foot in warm water and clean the dirt out of the wound (hard to do, use a toothbrush and lots of patience), dry it, pack the wound with Neosporin and wrap the foot SECURELY to keep dirt out and the Neosporin in. The warm water soak is really good to help heal his foot too, the wamrth stimulates blood flow in the foot which carries the toxins away. She may also have to keep him off of dirt (and NOT in a wire bottom cage unless that foot is padded really well) unless she's wrapped the foot super good and he can't get the dressing off. He'll hate it, so he's going to try, his flockmates are going to try...so make it secure. Eventually he should accept it and leave it be.

Bumblefoot can take a long time to heal, and she'll need to periodically removed the dressing, clean the wound and repack it with more Neosporin. But dirt MUST be kept out of it during the healing process or she'll find herself, and her roo, right back at square one. You can't take shortcuts with Bumblefoot. :(

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here