Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefromsd

Controling Flies!

joefromsd
16 years ago

My dawgs like to hang out in an area outside of my back door, and that's also where they like to "do their thing" [:o)

Besides picking up after them, what's a good way to keep the fly population down? Any specific yard sprays/insecticides I should use?

Comments (8)

• velvet_sparrow
    16 years ago

Try the bag-type fly traps, where the flies go in and can't get out. We used these in our back yard a couple of years ago when we had a sudden fly problem, and they work great--no poison, and you can hang them up and out of the way after activating the bait.

But when they get full of flies they can start to stink, so change them when they do.

Velvet ~:>

• joefromsd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hhm, bag type traps, never seen those before. Where do you find those, at a Feed Store?

• Dibbit
    16 years ago

You should probably find them at most feed stores. As well, try FarmTek.com, Valley Vet Supply, and any other on-line/catalogue for horse or cattle equipment.

Otherwise, you CAN make your own - although I have only read about it, not done it - using a 2-liter soda bottle - cut off the bottom, invert it back into the top part and tape it securely to the top. Punch a few holes that a fly can fit through in the bottle toward the bottom, and then drop a piece of meat in the bottle, screw the top on and hang the whole thing up. When it gets full enough of flies, toss it out.

Another thing that should work is to get some Rid-X at a grocery or hardware store - it's a bacterial stimulant for septic systems. Mix about a half cup to a cup per gallon of water in a watering can and water around the area. The bacteria seemingly will kill off the fly larvae, and certainly will limit the smells. A friend with horses in FL used this around her manure pile and in the paddocks and stalls - the fly population was greatly reduced.

Hanging up fly paper would also trap a lot of the flies. That you should be able to get at any feed or hardware store. Just be sure that you won't bump into it, and that you can easily get to it to take it down when it's covered in flies. It also has the advantage of not smelling....

• joefromsd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, that's some great info, especially about that Rid-X because it does get a little smelly back there.

I went to farmtek.com and found those bag type traps. Really great info folks!

• billie_ladybug
    16 years ago

My favorites are: Trap and Toss, Golden Malrin and Lure Fly.

Trap and Toss is just that. There is an attractant that you break open, fill the bottle to the line with water and hang. I usually have to replace them twice a year.

Golden Malrin is a granual that is sprinkled and the flies eat/pick it up. I have had a few different explainations on how it works, but the bottom line is that it works. Do not use where animals may eat it though. Works best when it is damp so spray with a hose once in a while.

Lure Fly is a fly strip. There are many brands sold here, but Lure Fly is the one that seems to have the best attractant and stickyness. My cat was stuck to one for about a week (don't ask). I have actually hung three different types in the same spot and had to change the Lure Fly before any of the others even caught a fly!

Billie

• henhilton
    16 years ago

While it won't kill the flies, a good way to keep them from buzzing in your back door every time it opens is to fill a ziplock baggie with water and hang it by the door. Something about the way the light reflects off the water apparently irritates flies. We had a problem with flies bothering us on the porch and entering the house, but as soon as we hung water bags around the area, they disappeared!

• Happy2BeeME
    16 years ago

I use a product called BugCheck for my horses. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the dogs. It does work very vell here.

http://www.valleyvet.com/fly-control-supplements/bug-check?minimize=1&pgguid=1CC56D77-098D-4AE1-83F4-BC9CE6670718#MoreInfo

Here is a link that might be useful: valleyvet supply

• doninalaska
    16 years ago

Has anyone used the fly parasites? I would think it would really well in the warm areas. They are tiny wasps (no threat to humans or pets) that lay their eggs in the maggots of flies. I think they are available at GardensAlive as well as other places. They are used for large fly problems, such as livestock, but should work for smaller problems as well as long as you have enough flies to keep them going. The fly traps work well also. I have found they work best if hung in the sunshine here. The flies get trapped, then cook in the heat. The heat seems to make the lure work better too.