Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clipping chicken wings

Posted by rozannadanna 8 TX (rosemomlady@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 19:08

How old should my chickens be when I clip their wings to keep them flying out of their yard.

Thanks

Rozanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clipping chicken wings

Old enough to have their adult feathers.

o

The first thing a chick grows is those darned long, strong wing feathers, and since they don't have any weight, they are all horsepower and can fly like freakin' eagles. This coupled with those nice strong legs to jump with, makes the little stinkers able to get into trouble at the drop of a hat.

I really wouldn't clip the juvenile feathers if you can avoid it, just keep them penned until they get some more weight on them. Once they get their adult feathers, usually they've learned where they live and don't take to flying so much, especially heavy breeds. Banties are more apt to fly up into trees and such, especially to roost.

Make sure you clip their wings correctly, if you do clip:

http://birdmart.com/wings.html

This page is aimed at parrots, but a wing is a wing. :)

Velvet ~:>

o

Thanks everyone. I thought they were old enough to clip but wasn't sure. Their home is 1/4acre - they share it with roses - with their coop in the middle of it. Besides being well fenced, most of the fence has 5/6/7ft and bigger roses growing along the fence so they really don't show any inclination to wander but I figureed I should clip just to be on the safe side. When the dogs follow me into the "bird" area they aren't interested but I wouldn't want to tempt them with a wild bird out in the rest of the yard. Besides some of my neighbors would figure it was a square meal free for the taking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here