Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonathanf1968

Alpaca architecture

Jonathan
13 years ago

Hello,

It looks like we're going to get three alpacas! The plan is to modify my barn a bit so that one of the stalls has a sliding door that will almost always be open, so that they can come and go as they like. Then, when the weather is really horrendous or I need to close them in for some reason, I'll have that option.

The barn is about 30 feet long on this side, and there are essentially two stalls and an alcove on each side. So, the alpaca stall is about 9 feet of the wall, in the middle. I've got ducks in the stall to the right and my riding mower in the alcove to the left.

So, I'm interested in your thoughts about how wide and tall this opening should be. I'm also interested in photos of barns that are asymmetrical, with an open doorway like this off center, and a window.

I've attached a photo of the barn. Basically, the window on the left would likely go away and become the door. My goals are to do this inexpensively, but still have it look nice. I'm interested in photos of potential architectural details and proportions, and also other insights you might have.

--Jonathan

The alpaca stall goes from one board to the left of the window to seven boards to its right, with a major structural timber between boards 4 and 5 to the right.

{{gwi:39115}}

Comments (3)

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

I came back to see if you had gotten any answers. Sorry I can't help, I have miniature donkeys and had to modify a horse barn for the mini's ... which really meant cutting "windows" in the sides of the stalls so they could see each other since they can't see over the tops of the stalls.

My back door is a slider that is open whenever I want the donkeys to come and go, and they have access when the weather is bad.

I have stalls for all three which is great when the vet comes or the farrier. Each one goes into their stalls each night, that way I know how much each one is eating and drinking, and can see each one's manure in case one gets sick.

My 2 gelded males like to pick on each other, just like little boys do, so having separate stalls also gives them a break or "time out" from each other. My female is also happy to have her own stall when she is in heat, so the "boys" leave her alone.

I wasn't sure from your post above if you planned on having individual stalls for each animal, so I was showing you the reasons why I think it's a good idea.

You can see pics in the Album called "My Farm" below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photos

• Jonathan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Pam,

I see the logic in that. I've got four stalls, with chickens in one, currently ducks in two (but will be just one soon, hopefully), and junk in the one slated for the alpacas. It is handy to be able to separate animals, and I see that it could be a problem if things don't work out with these guys. That said, they've been living together already for three years, so I'm not expecting to have to give each a separate stall.

Could your donkeys be bickering because of the sex ratio?

I love your farm photos, and would actually like to see a more detailed one of the little building near the pond, with the hipped roof. Is it a gazebo or a porch of a little cabin? It's very sweet.

--Jonathan

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

The boys are father and son ... I think they play rough just like my neighbors kids. Nothing harmful, actually they're pretty silly.

It is a gazebo ... last year, or the year before, I had my neighbor take the shingles right off the roof (they were falling off anyway)and have vines now wrapped around those upper support beams.

If you look at the garden 2010 or 2009 albums, you'll probably find more pictures with the roof off. I forget which year we did that ...