Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
duckling help!!!

Posted by abby593 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 20:18

i found a baby duckling 2 days ago. i have it under a heat lamp in a large box with wood chips, game bird starter, and a chick water despencer. he only stay on one side of t he bow and is always knocking over his water-er and soaking his bedding so he shivers, what should i do? he also acts like he cant walk. he'll take a few steps then lay back down, is he sick? can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong and how i can help this duckling?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: duckling help!!!

In the brooder he may be too hot or cold, he will move away from the light if too hot, or directly under it if too cold.
Make him a mash with boiled egg yolk and unmedicated chick starter and lukewarm water. Put a drop on or inside his bill. Show him where the water is by putting his bill into it a couple of times and trying to get him to drink.
The other thing - you could cuddle him by wrapping him in a wool blanket and holding him against yourself, this would also keep him warm enough and he'll be happier to snuggle with someone rather than be all by himself

o
RE: duckling help!!!

you might consider getting him another duckling. chicks and ducklings should never be alone. they always need at least one other play mate to help incourge them to grow properly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here