Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woco_gw

Feeding rabbits...

woco
16 years ago

I just spent $27 for 100 pounds of rabbit pellets. I have 3 bunnies but more are coming, and I wondering what you can feed them besides pellets. I do give them a couple of baby carrots twice a week but I am looking to save a little money. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

Comments (4)

• yakimadn
    16 years ago

If you pay yourself (put a value on your time), you'll find that pellets are the way to go. I know people that feed only hay and carrots, some feed only feed beets in winter and beets and grass all summer. those folks are retired and have plenty of time on their hands. You can buy different things and mix your own feed also, but probably no cheaper than the ready pellets. I feed pellets as a norm and give grass, vegies, barley and some corn as goodies. One old guy gives nothing but hay and puts vitamin drops in the water and a mineralized salt stone.
    Guess the best thing is get them on something and stay with it.

Good luck,

Dave

• fancifowl
    16 years ago

Its really hard to beat a quality pellet for rabbits for the best performance. if other feeds are given it will alter the vitamin, mineral and other feed components such as protein. Pellets are designed to grow a healthy long lived rabbit in the most economical way. Even using lower priced pellets may not save in the long run as they are most likely made up with lower quality ingredients. No matter what species I am feeding I strive for the best quality and usually price takes a back seat in the decision.

I do feed pellets(alfalfa based, no corn ever) as the main diet but supplement with whole oats, grass hay, sunflowwer seeds, an ocassional carrot and apple tree and grape vine trimmings. depends on the time of year and their period of growth. few treats for the youngsters but a good amount of grass hay.

• lfrj
    16 years ago

That may be on the high side - but about right. I think we're paying $12 - $14 for 50lb bags, so there ya go.

We, however, use pellets (and hay) as a suppliment, with a great deal of their diet devoted to harvested greens - which the rabbits prefer. I like providing the pellets to be sure they have the vitamins they need - and yes, picking a nice salad twice a day DOES require time AND KNOWLEDGE, but then, we're pouring a ton of time haying out our lawn every summer so a walk in the grass is a joy.

This method works for us and helps out our food budget - but....we grow rabbis for meat and the compromise for us is slower growing rabbits. So, if meat rabbits are your objective, you may want to research more on the pellet diet (possibly with grain or other) for optimum growth. Depends on what you want.

A regular poster here - Maggie, posted a draft list of edibles for rabbits. YOu could surely find it by scrolling back week or so - or use the search bar (below, I think). You may have to do some research to familiarize yourself with your local vegetatation, and if you do decide to "go green", transition slowly for your rabbit sake - and read up on how to do it properly so you provide a balanced diet.

• beeliz
    16 years ago

I feed my lops pellets all year round as well as good quality hay that's left over from my goats. They get treats like carrot peels,stale bread,anything leftover from the dinner the night before. I keep a bowl on the counter and add whatever I think they'll like instead of putting it to waste. Anything like apple,carrot,bread,pasta without sauce,veggies are plentiful since we're vegetarians. I only give them what I know is good for them though as rabbits can get diarhea from some things and could be dangerous to their health.
    But pellets are the basic food source for them ...

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor