Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit trees & raccoons.

Posted by rowlettr 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 20:34

I have six fruit trees spaced about 10 feet apart. For the past two years I have been cleaned out overnight by raccoons right before harvest time. After doing considerable studying on the matter, I have concluded that my best two choices for deterring the raccoons is; 1) a metal baffle around the trunk of the tree, or 2) an electric fence around the trees. If I use a baffle, does anyone have a design that I could use temporarily, just during harvest time and take apart easily? If I use an electric fence, does anyone know if I can connect eight circular loops in a string to one controller or does it have to be a non-loop configuration?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit trees & raccoons.

Erect a fence. You can use deer fencing around several trees or make small fences around each individual tree. With smaller fencing, you can attach a strip of chicken wire around the top by connecting the bottom of the chicken wire to the top of the fence. When the raccoon climbs on the chicken wire it will flip him over and dump him away from the trees.

A link that might be useful:

www.ehow.com/how_5539226_keep-raccoons-out-fruit-trees.html#ixzz1ryxeHz4E

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here