Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dropthepurpleturtle

When will chickens begin laying?

I recently purchased a pair of Black Austrlorps that were six months old. They said they should begin laying in a week or two, but it as been four weeks so far and they haven't started yet. We get about 14 hours of daylight and they have plenty to eat. Approx. when might they start laying?

Comments (8)

• johanna_h
    16 years ago

How sure are you that the people you bought them from actually knew how old they are? And you're certain they're hens? I would have thought they would have adjusted to living with you by now and would be laying. Are they your only chickens? It's also very possible that they are laying, you just haven't found the hiding place yet. Do you let them free range? I had a chicken who found a way into the upstairs of my barn. One day I saw her jump down from the hatch, so I went up and looked. I found 35 eggs laid around the floor!!! So you might want to investigate the hidey places in your barn!

Good luck.

--Johanna

• velvet_sparrow
    16 years ago

Heh, 35 eggs... :) I think she wins the prize for 'Best Hidden Nest'!

OP, your hens will most likely start in laying any time now, and once they do you'll have eggs galore. :) Make sure they are healthy and not losing weight---feel their keel (breastbone) with your hand. If it feels sharp to your hand, they are most likely underweight, and need to be checked for illness. Make sure their poops are normal (look for worms), they are eating, drinking and carrying on normally. Check the inside of their mouths for any growths or injuries. Make sure their nostrils (nares) and eyes aren't watering, and that they aren't sneezing or wheezing.

If you are sure they are healthy, then make sure your are providing adequate nests. Did you have an existing flock that they were joining? If so, they might be bullied/intimidated by your other hens. Make sure to have enough nest boxes to go around. Also, make sure the nests include all the elements that are near and dear to their little chickeny hearts--a nice deep layer of nesting material such as straw, and that they provide a semi-dark, private nest. Chickens seem to prefer dark, hidey-hole type nests, so that they feel that they are laying in a protected, safe place for their eggs.

Velvet ~:>

• dropthepurpleturtle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hmmm, one is a bit lighter then the other so i've been feeding them extra hoping it ill gain more weight. I let them out for a few hours a day so i'll check all over the yard to see if they have any secret nesting spots. i'm certain they're both hens, and the seller ordered them as 6 week olds.

• sullicorbitt
    16 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much, I have a black orp. pullet that waited until she was almost 9 months old before she laid an egg. I think some of the big girls take a little longer.

Sheila

• critterkeeper
    16 years ago

I have 8 hens , Rhode Island Reds, and have been getting 3-6 eggs a day. Today I found a really mini-egg and am wondering if it may be a first egg from one of the hens, or is it some thing I should worry about?

• velvet_sparrow
    16 years ago

Mini eggs and soft-shelled eggs are not all that uncommon, especially in young hens or at the beginning of Springtime weather, when things warm up and egg laying really kicks in. As long as your hens aren't acting sick, losing weight, are carrying on normally and eating and drinking, I wouldn't worry unless it continues.

Sometimes those little 'hiccup' eggs have tiny yolks, but usually they are mostly white. :)

Velvet ~:>

• critterkeeper
    16 years ago

My hens are healthy and fat, like me! I have several flat rocks my grandsons and I placed in their big pen that runs downhill and we frequently run the garden hose there for it to act like a stream. The chickens love it when we come in and turn over the rocks. They scramble for the worms like they are caviar! What fun. . .

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

LOL! Yeah the first 'mini' eggs are funny to see...a long time ago they called them 'cock eggs' because they thought they were laid by roosters..no yoke! :D