Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
two setting hens

Posted by simpleme (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 20:58

I have two Black Jersey Giants setting, due to hatch about the same time. I think 2 days apart. What I"m wondering, can I put them together in the same area I have fenced with small chicken netting after they hatch and the chicks are about a week old? Will they fight over the babes, and will the babes know who's mom is who? Both of these are first time mothers.

thanks

simpleme

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: two setting hens

It can present some problems, I have tried it. They may scrap and the chicks can suffer harm from bodily damage or get lost in the melees. I use seperate pens for each hen w. chicks unless I pull them and use a brooder. Left to free range can be beneficial but the risk of loss of chicks is real, the most fit will make it but that might not be the ones most desirable for your needs?

o

Not sure if you want to do this, but you could just let one hen mother all the chicks that hatch, that way you only have one mother hen, and don't have to find a separate place for the babies and other hen. If you put the chicks under the 'main hen' at night, she won't know the difference by morning.

o

Thanks, for the imput. I have discovered a Barred Rock setting in the potting shed so that makes three. Each have 12 eggs so it may get crowed in a few weeks. I've spent a good deal of time dividing the existing chicken yard this week. I have safe and secure lodging for the first two. Now I have about 2 1/2 weeks to stretch some netting around another area for the third. I have homes for all of these. My Vet has 6 kids all dying to raise chickens.
Thanks again for your imput..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here