Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

Interesting article about milk (raw, pasteurized and the industry

mersiepoo
15 years ago

It's an interesting article, a bit long but chock full of info! I don't think I'm going to drink pasturized milk again...bleech!

http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=13361

Comments (12)

• sleddogger

For those that do pasteurize, do you need to buy a special pasteurizer? We'll be getting goats in the next couple of weeks, and I've just been looking into it.

Thanks,
    Allison

• sleddogger

For those that do pasteurize, do you need to buy a special pasteurizer? We'll be getting goats in the next couple of weeks, and I've just been looking into it.

Thanks,
    Allison

• sleddogger

Thanks,
    Allison

• sleddogger

Thanks,
    Allison

• backlanelady
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing that article. I am lactose intolerent, or so I have been told, and put on medication for it. Funny thing is is that I can drink unpasturized goat and cow milk with no stomach problems. So, I use milk from my goat to cook with and drink and don't need the medicine any more.

• snycal
    15 years ago

raw vs. pasteurized,,,, oh the controversy

I pasteurize my goats milk at 160-165 for 15 seconds and then quickly put it in the freezer. Then back to the fridge after about an hour.

Goat milk actually has less bacteria than cow milk as it leaves the udder. But on the bad side, goat milk is more likely to pick up coliform bacteria from the airborne dung dust. Their "berries" turn to dust and become airborne.

So I pasteurize

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I loved that article..hopefully these family dairy farms won't go out of business if people realize that pasterization of the milk is just so it stays on the shelf longer and makes it so they don't have to keep a clean dairy environment.

Glad you enjoyed the link backlanelady! :) I think I found a good source until we get our goat barn built, I'd rather pay more for good milk and support local dairies who do it right, than these factory farm mega giants who feed their cows awful things.

LOL, yeah you gotta clean the barn real good to avoid contamination, but the article says that many scientific tests show that e coli actually can't live in raw milk...

"Organic Pastures owner Mark McAfee has also done some experimenting on his own. In September 2006 McAfee hired an independent lab to introduce pathogens into raw milk from his dairy to see what would happen. He duplicated the test in his own lab, using his own diagnostic equipment. "We looked at salmonella, E. coli 0157:H7, listeria, and tuberculosis," says Kaleigh McAfee, spokeswoman for Organic Pastures.
    "In every case, the pathogen levels either did not increase or disappeared entirely." Apparently, resident microorganisms either contained the pathogens or simply extinguished them: In other words, the raw milk killed the bad bugs."

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, you just have to heat the milk to 180 degrees. :P

• snycal
    15 years ago

I do it to 160-165 tastes better and I've had mine tested, no problems. My opinion is that the flavor changes when you get to the 180+ mark.

Thats JUST my opinion, not trying to argue, I also have Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, a beginners book basically. Pg. 29 165 Fahrenheit for 15 seconds.

I keep a very clean barn, very clean milk station away from the barn, clean the udder like its my own body in a shower practically. Still, when I filter, I may get a hair or sometimes a visible debris. I'm always going to assume that would contain an airborne dung dust clung to it. Thats why I pasteurize. Everyone has an opinion, its nice to learn and listen to other peoples stories and how they do things.

• claraserena
    15 years ago

I have heard that heating the milk above 110 destroys some organisms (ones that are good for you).
    The taste (unpasteurized cow's milk) is amazing.
    It used to be legal in Missouri--is it still? Anyone have a list of states and how they regulate raw milk?

• vaherbmom
    15 years ago

Go to www.realmilk.org and there is a list of each state's regulation of raw milk sales. Many do not allow any raw milk sales at all, others allow it freely, and others, like here in Virginia, allow customers to purchase a share in the cow from which they then are legally able to drink their own raw milk.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Yes.......I remember when our state inspectors made butchers change out from wooden cutting blocks to hard plastic for sanitary purposes. Never mind that wooden blocks are bacteriostatic and I've read articles since about how tested out better than the new product when cultured. It doesn't make any difference if the science is good, you can warp it up by how you interpret it.

We had a small flock of cows on the family farm, and I am one of a dying breed I guess who has milked by hand. They were tested for TB, but we drank and used it raw. Couldn't sell it, though.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz