Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken tractor as permanant coop in -40C Winters? Advice?

Posted by camaria 2 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 21:38

Hello all!

I own a small acreage and am missing having chickens as we did when I was younger at the farm. I'm only interested in buying two or three pullets (Buff Orpingtons as they are supposed to be well adjusted to cold weather). With only a couple of chickens, I was intending to build a chicken tractor with 4'x8' open area and a 4'w x4'l x 4' enclosed coop (over top of the open area).

My dilemna is:

Is this a big enough enclosed coop for 2 chickens? Keep in mind that during the cold winters, they will probably spend all of their time in there.

Should I try to insulate the enclosed coop, or with two chickens and a smaller heat lamp in such a small space, would the poor girls overheat in there?

What is a good balance between proper ventilation and proper insulation in such cold weather (We regularly get -30 to -40C in winter here.

Does anyone have experience or advice with wintering such a small number of chickens in a chicken tractor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken tractor as permanant coop in -40C Winters? Advice?

I know offhand that as long as there aren't drafts, most chickens can survive pretty well, as they trap heat with their feathers. You can use wood on the inside walls to create a 'dead space' to trap air as an insulation factor.

o
RE: Chicken tractor as permanant coop in -40C Winters? Advice?

I wouldn't put chickens in a coop without insulation when the weather could dip to -40. We get that kind of weather as well and I have kept small numbers at times but my insulated coop is about 6x8, enough room for me to move around in too. I do keep a heat light in there during cold times and all night at -40.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here