Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeliz

I'm pregnant,,can I use dri-kill powder safely?

beeliz
15 years ago

ARGH!!

MITES,LICE,POULTRY!

again and again,,will this ever stop? or will they ever come out with a safe treatment that works on hens all year round to prevent these buggers?

I'm pregnant,and I need to use dri-kill powder on my 2 hens...is this safe? has anyone else done this while they were pregnant?

Comments (13)

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Please don't rely on some Internet forum for medical advice. :) Call your OB-GYN and ask HIM. Have the active ingredient list for the Dri-Kill ready when you call.

Isn't there anyone else who can dust the birds for you?

Congrats on the baby! :)

Velvet ~:>

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Hey Beeliz...comgrats!!! I am so happy for you.

You can look on the Internet for MSDS (material data safety sheet) for the specific product you are referring to. (search MSDS and manuf name and product name). The doctor is going to more than likely have to look it up too. I would not chance being around any chemicals that kill **anything** living by chemical reaction. You might as well get your doctors nurses number because you will have a lot of questions.

Also be wary of taking any advise from the Internet without verifying it through a reliable source such as a doctor or webMD.

Again congrads. Many blessings to you and your family!!

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

The active ingredient is Rotenone.

I would have someone else do it.

A little DE in the dust bath never hurt anyone however.

Congratulations.

• beeliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    I'm just over 4 months now :)
    I will have someone else do it then,,I'll have to watch to make sure it's done right, LOL

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Check out the link!!

Here is a link that might be useful: READ SECTION 11 AND 15 PLEASE!!!

• beeliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

this is only for DE?? I don't use that ,,they don't sell it in canada.(as far as I know) But thank you for the info,,very interresting!

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

that MSDS was specific to DE and I am not sure if it was food grade or not. I assume it was. I could not find the sheet on your dry-kill. do you have a manuf name and are you sure that is the official name and not the tagline?

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

The same warnings you see on the DE apply to all fine airborne powders. If you work with it daily for 20 years would will get silicosis from it, if its occasional use and you are not huffing it the worst outcome is maybe a minor cough for a few hours. They do sell DE in Canada, it is literally as safe as the silica sand you might buy for a sand box (the dangerous component is identical).DE is great stuff.

• beeliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok,so basically if I use this powder in the dusting box,,can it be used always as a preventative?
    **msju2**do you get outbreaks with mites and lice using your system for the de in their sanding area??

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Beeliz my point was that you have to be careful when pregnant and read those MSDS sheets. I just love it when people put their own interpretation to official documentation without adding a disclaimer stating it is their personal opinion.

You have your unborn child to think about. If it says it can cause birth defects then I would probably use a dust mask and not cause a dust cloud. I would also wash my hands when I finished using it. That is not too inconvenient is it? Better safe than sorry!!

I have not had any outbreaks of mites or lice as of yet thank goodness. I thought I had some when one of my hens was missing feathers off her neck but it was just as I suspected...it came from her trying to stick her head in the battery cage and the friction rubbed the feathers off.

I put the DE in the coop and the nesting box and also dust them. I have been doing this about every 3 months. Last month I mixed some DE in the dirt where they usually take their dust baths too. Someone pointed out to me to be careful with it as it can cause respiratory problems so I made sure that when I finished handling it I washed my hands well before smoking a cigarette. Of course I do not smoke anymore...

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

They do sell DE in Canada. Its much safer to use than a chemical insecticide. I got mine at Home Depot last year. It's in the gardening insecticide section. It's not called DE, you just have to read the ingredients. Make sure it is pure DE with nothing else mixed in.

It should be easily available at the large gardening centres too. Its used a lot on veggies, as well as any livestock. You could probably get it in bags at a large farm supply store. Just don't get it at a pool supply company. That is not food grade DE that is used in pool filters.

I put it in the dusting box and mix it into the sand/dirt in the corner where they like to dust outside in the pen. I have not yet had any pest problems (PTL!).

You could probably mix it into the bedding in the nests and sprinkle it around the floor and roosts in the coop. Keep the chickens outside until it settles, so they don't inhale it and wear a mask yourself. I have thought of doing this myself, but I have not had any pest problem. When I do I will rub it on the chickens too.

Congratulations !!

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Also the good points is unlike some medications, they never build up an immunity to it and even if it rains or gets wet it is still there.

I looked at my package of DE today and I noticed it said it was from fresh water. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

There is very little difference between Salt water and fresh water diatoms, and there aren't any other nonsoluble minerals that collect in the valves (little glass bits that make up DE).

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions