Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!!! Injured Goat!!!!

Posted by natalie312 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 21:53

Today when i looked at my goat it's front right knee was the size of a baseball. Please tell me what do. One more ? do male pigmys have a beard?
~~Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!!! Injured Goat!!!!

send a photo so we can see what you are working with

o

I cant, my internet is to slow, I'll try twomarrow!
~~Natalie

o

How is your goat this morning? I don't have any idea what could be wrong. Is it swollen or is it fluid filled? Could he have been kicked with something?

Yes, male pygmys have a beard.

o

It looks the same maybe a little bit better. My aunt said there might be fluid in it, but it looks twister.
If they have the beard does that mean they are a male or what. Can a female have a beard.
Thanks,
~~Natalie

o

what??? you are a teenager without a camera phone? I thought all teens had one.

Female goats can have beards too

o

I don't raise goats but wouldn't it be easier to look at the other end to determine it's sex?

Get some Absorbine Jr. Equine Linament and put it on, and rub, rub rub for about 15 minutes and then wrap it with a piece of towel and vet wrap (the self sticking bandage) for a day and repeat again. This will draw the fluid out. If's it's been kicked or maybe horned by another herd member, separate it for a day or two. I've done the above with my donkey's when they are lame with swelling...
good luck ,
simple me

o

Lol, yes I'm a teenager without a camera phone. Or a phone at all!

o

Compress that sucker. Either with Vet wrap, or some gauze and an ace bandage. compression does wonders.

The swelling response in vertibrates is typically there to immobilize the damaged portion, so if you an discourage the goat from putting weight on it right now that would be best, but that begs the question, How do you get a goat to stay off its feet? There I can't help you.

o

Natalie, The good thing about no cell phone is no cell phone bill.

o

Natalie, if you do wrap the knee be careful not to pull it too tight. It will cause alot of other problems.

Both my male and female pygmys have beards!

Rock on the right and Bella on the left:

Photobucket

o

Thanks you guy's for your help.
~~Natalie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here