Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is Ractopamine?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 22:20

I'm not a farmer,..you might use it?
Just for your information, found out that it could be dangerous...

from the web...
The drug works by increasing the body’s synthesis of protein thereby causing animals to bulk up and yield more meat. Ractopamine is in the family of drugs known as beta-agonists, which contains many asthma drugs.

from the web
The controversy with exports arises because use of the drug is banned in 160 countries.

I'm not really sure what to say about this drug,...good or bad?

Just my gut feeling say's bad.

from the web...
U.S. farmers have complained that ractopamine induces hyperactivity, muscle damage and even a 10 percent death rate in their pigs and cattle, a concern confirmed by a 2003 study published in the Journal of Animal Science.

Here is a link that might be useful: What is Ractopamine? Dispute Over Drug in Feed Limiting US Meat Exports

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is Ractopamine?

Konrad
I hope the snow goes away soon up there so you can go out more. I never heard of ractopamine before, now I have one more thing to learn to keep people thinking I know it all. (laugh quietly so people don't look at me funny)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here