Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Meet and Greet success!

gardengalrn
15 years ago

I had been pretty worried since taking my little girls out to the chicken pen. The big girls had their coop and a portion of the run and the little girls had a make-shift shelter and the rest of the run. When I would let one or two of the big girls run with the little ones, they pecked at them pretty mercilessly. Anyway, yesterday I was working out around there and decided it was time. I had made a batch of "chicken delight" to distract them. Chicken Delight is either rice or noodles with fruit mixed in and anything from the fridge that needs to go. The little girls didn't go for it because they didn't know about Chicken Delight :) The big girls knew exactly what it was and promptly showed them how to behave when CD was presented, LOL. The big girls got so distracted that they forgot all about pecking the little ones. Sure, there were some squabbles now and then but generally harmless and them getting aquainted. Today, I let them have at it and all went extremely well. Big girls went to the coop for the night, the little ones to their shelter. I need to make some more roosts but Sunday I do think I will take their shelter away and encourage them to go to the big coop. Lori

Comments (3)